1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Linnin, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I've been pursuing just what steel underlies the nickel plating of the outer cover wrap of most 'NPS' roundwound strings.

Is it stainless steel? (I think that it is)

Is it high carbon (tool) steel?

Is it low carbon (your normal everyday auto body steel)?

Do you know? Do you know? Do you know?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I don't know, but there are some folks on here who do....

Linnin likes this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yeah, I've been asking. Getting the run around on facebook from D'Addario. They obviously know, but don't actually want to tell. Amusing, but uninformative.

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Well hoping one of the string experts chimes in soon. :)

Linnin likes this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    They might. It could be a simple fact of inside knowledge that is not to be talked about publically. Not necessarily a trade secret but not something to be openly blabbed about.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

It's not stainless, because stainless contains more chromium & thus costs more than carbon steel.
    It's probably low carbon steel, since you can nickel plate almost anything, even aluminum.

bassinflorida and e-flat like this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    OK! Direct from D'Addario: "Our Nickel Plated Bass strings have two wraps for any gauge string starting at .065 - three wraps for any gauge over .095. The overlay (outer wrap) and the underlay are made of Nickel Plated Steel as well. The construction of the wrap wire, which is the same for the outer wrap and the underlay, is a Nickel Plating of approximately 0.90% thickness, while the remaining portion of the string is made of 99.5% iron along with other materials that make up Low Carbon Steel".

8. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Some of them sound very different from each other. Aside from general string construction differences, I imagine that some brands have very different choices for alloys and plating processes.

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I don't think so. Wire suppliers are few. Available wire is available to all. This is the kind of information I desired to know. It is good to receive and believe the truth. No need to make up lies.

10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    True enough, but that usually doesn't stop them! :woot:

mikewalker, Old Blastard and Linnin like this.
  11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    So I've noticed! ;)

12. Killed_by_Death

I wonder if their stainless strings have a low carbon steel primary winding,
    but thinking about it, that would probably rust fast with a little sweat
    galvanic corrosion

Root 5 likes this.
  13. Mapes is one wire supplier. There's another company called American Wire. AW... A&W? I'm hungry! AW I seem to recall is owned by D'Addario but don't quote me on that one. I recall watching a D'Addario video and seeing American Wire boxes. I think Rotosound use them, too.
    I don't know of any other wire suppliers.

Killed_by_Death and Linnin like this.
  14. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    That doesn't mean the variety is few. It seems pretty clear to me that some brands are specifying fairly unique materials/material combos.

As an example, I would be absolutely shocked to hear that Fodera and Rotosound use the same Steel for their Stainless outerwrap. I mean, you can see visually, that they are different metals.

15. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    We desire to know the truth. That's all.

16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    And it seems like DR and others are coming up with new alloys and processes every so often - pretty sure their Pure Blues alloy is proprietary to them - they don't even look like other strings I've seen.

17. Not all stainless steels are magnetic so that somewhat limits choices. There are 3 types: Ferritic, austenitic, martensitic.

mikewalker and Killed_by_Death like this.
  18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    giphy.gif

19. Killed_by_Death

I've always wondered why Chromes aren't considered Stainless Steel, since steel with a lot of Chrome is indeed Stainless...

20. Does D'Addario deny they're stainless steel? Chromium is what makes SS corrosion proof ( 12%+ chromium content; often 18% ). It also adds toughness, wear resistance and hardness.

( I just looked at D'Addario: they describe them as flattened ribbons of stainless steel )

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021