1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPUD - Nordstrand DC6s for my Elrick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bollenator, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Bollenator

Bollenator The Ersatz Haderach

Jun 2, 2010
    Western Washington
    I just dropped my Elrick (avatar pic) off at Mike Lull's to install a pair of DC6s I snagged recently from the Classifieds. Very excited! :hyper: Mike and I agreed to skip on the coil tap at this point and just leave the current controls and preamp (Bartolini) as they are, but there's always the option later.

Anybody else with a similar upgrade experience? How do you like the Nordys with the Bart preamp? Anybody use a coil tap with the series-wired DC6s?

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Why wouldn't you have the coil tap installed? He's already going to dig around inside your bass, so it'd be cheaper to have it done now. Plus, you're probably always going to wonder if you're missing out on anything. :)

No experience with the DC6's, but I am considering a set for my fretless 6.

3. Bollenator

Jun 2, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hey - quit with the logic and the making of sense! This is an internet forum, man. ;)

4. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Looking forward to your review. (I'd do coil tap too though.)

5. Bollenator

Jun 2, 2010
    Western Washington
    Yeah, I called Mike after I saw FMB's reply. :bag:

6. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    haha, love it :)

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Any chance this reply will persuade you to hook me up with a pair of the Nordies also? :D

8. Bollenator

Jun 2, 2010
    Western Washington
  9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    sudo hook me up with some DC6's.

10. Bollenator

Jun 2, 2010
    Western Washington
    jedimindtricks-480x384.

11. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Looks like you only need one, since you'll be soloing the bridge pickup :D

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Touche, good sir. Touche. :cool:

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm also looking forward to your review once you get you bass back. I looked at your avatar pic; Are the original pickups Bartolini narrow soapbars?

14. Bollenator

Jun 2, 2010
    Western Washington
    Nope, they're the P4s or whatever - the DC6s are supposed to be drop-in replacements, so no routing required.

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Very nice.

16. Bollenator

Jun 2, 2010
    Western Washington
    :hyper::hyper: Just picked it up at Mike's! Initial impression: :eek: followed by :D

Hehe, okay. Honestly though, the difference in sound and (I think) flexibility is immense. Quite aggressive when soloing each pickup, but in a great way. I don't quite know why, but the Bart preamp is way more useful now - small changes have much more noticeable (and useful) effect on the sound. Oh, and coil tap? Yeah, I can't believe I was about to go through this without it. Coil-tapped + a little highs + a little lows + blended favoring bridge? OH. MY.

So psyched. I'll try to get a recording to share (I have the stuff, just need to find time) - hopefully, I can come up with a recording with the Barts for comparison.

All to say, consider me one very pleased Nordstrand (and Mike Lull and Elrick) customer. :D

17. Bollenator

Jun 2, 2010
    Western Washington
    Took a few steps down from the mountaintop last night - just a few. ;)

I played through my Cafe Walter last night with no preamp (played through a Redhead at Mike's) and while I'm still very excited for the new sound, it will definitely take some getting used to. I found a couple of very minor things that I'll need to ask Mike about (not sure if it's setup-related or not), but nothing remotely approaching a deal-breaker, even if Mike can't resolve them.

As I just mentioned, I played through an SWR Redhead at Mike's place, which is probably where these pickups shine - hot output and aggressive tone through a tube preamp is very warm and musical. Without the preamp (as through my HA-1A), they lose a bit of that musicality. When I attempt to make a recording, I'll see about going with and without an external preamp to give you guys a sense of what I'm talking about.

All to say (again), still a big fan, but I'm starting to see the strengths and potential weaknesses of this setup.

18. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I had a 55-01 with DC5s and NTMB. Hold judgement until you hear it in a mix. For me the aggressive tone was great in a band setting.