1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NRAD - Peavey Max 12 content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gidbass, Feb 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    The R is for "Rehearsal"...;)

Backstory. I have a GK MB212 that I have used for rehearsal/gigs and a Trace Elliot Boxer 15 for home practice. I try to leave my GK at our rehearsal space which is 30 min away. Otherwise I am carting it to and from rehearsal.

Lately, we have had a few rehearsals cancelled leaving me to run to grab my gigging amp prior to a gig, which add's an hour to my travel time. Finally, after two or three episodes of this my wife said why don't you just buy another amp and leave it at rehearsal. I have to admit I am a bit embarrassed I didn't think of this.

200w was my requirement with a 12" speaker preferred. I play in a rock cover band with self professed "loud" drummer and one guitarist so I figured 200 was enough. Off to CL figuring I could find something there.

Weight wasn't a concern as I was going to park it at the rehearsal space and my MB212 would still retain gig duties. I found lots of potential amps on CL, however cheapest option was $250 for 150 W. Still not bad, but I decided to research new combos just to see if I could find something else.

I looked at a lot of different combos and then I landed on a post here on TB (can't remember which member posted it but thank you!) and they suggested checking out the Peavey Max line. A 12" speaker and 200w for $250 ish. My first amp was a Peavey Minx 30 back in the 80's (man i remember it being heavy too!) and I wasn't honestly very enthusiastic about owning Peavey gear again despite it's durable reputation but this is meant to be a rehearsal only amp so I figured I'd check it out.

Did some targeted research on the Max 12 and was surprised at all the positive reviews out there. The built in tuner was a nice feature too as I was trying to not have to cart my pedal board to and from rehearsal either. I also like the kick back option as well. It also has DI with ground lift which is great as sometimes we record our practice so this is a pretty nice feature to have. I didn't really care for the other sonic features on it and it is only 40lbs. That's three lbs more than my MB212 so not too bad I figured as this amp isn't being marketed as a ultralight or anything like that. 200w and only 40 lbs, sign me up!

I listened to a few youtube clips I could find and decided to pull the trigger. I was able to find a new one on Reverb.com for $224.97 shipped. I had some gig money burning a hole in my pocket so a few clicks later I had a new amp coming my way.

The amp arrived yesterday and I unpackaged it and plugged it in. My thoughts are, wow it sounds much different than my MB212. Not in a bad way, just different. At lower volumes it is very deep sounding with a lot of bass. After a few minutes of playing with the EQ and the various features i was able to find a very serviceable tone for my P, my Ric, and my Brute. Nice!

The real test will be rehearsal on Monday but I am pretty confident I won't have any issues. Assuming it passes the test, which I am 99.99% sure it will, I am amazed that you can get an amp like this in the $200 range. Especially if it lives up to Peavey's legendary durability track record. I couldn't even find used gear on CL this loud for this price. All the other 12" combos I looked at were approaching the $400-500 range pretty quickly and while those combos were very nice, my goal of a rehearsal only amp meant I wanted to shell out as little $$ as possible.

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for reading. I'll post back here after I get a chance to use in rehearsal and give my impressions on tone as best I can.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a great time to be a bass player...;)

IMG_1900.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Phlipper likes this.
  2. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I've played the 12 and the 15 and really liked both. If I'd needed a combo at the time I'd have grabbed the 12.

Let us know how it goes for rehersal/gigging.

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    So, this amp is plenty loud for practice. I had the volume at about noon. It really does sound good. Do I like it as much as my GK, no. But is a darn good amp and not sure the price can be beat.

With PA support, I'd be able to gig with it I am sure of it.

It has a TON of low end. At low volumes the amount of low end is crazy compared to my GK MB 212. My GK has a lot of low end, but I find it really only shines when I am pushing the volume. This peavey has it right out of the gate a very low volumes. Not good or bad, just different.

All and all, $225 well spent on my part!