NRD - 1968 Fender Bassman With JBL's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    More of a finally finished rig day, but it's now done. 1968 Bassman head and cab that I've had a while, but just recently rediscovered the head and finished it's rehab. Now the deal is complete. When I first got the rig, the cab was in pieces and lots of stuff missing. Although not in the cab, I discovered that it was an original JBL equipped cab. I rehabbed everything and now it's ready to play on and looks outstanding.

Here you go.

IMG_1842.JPG IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1844.JPG IMG_1845.JPG IMG_1847.JPG IMG_1849.JPG IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1851.JPG IMG_1852.JPG

2. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I have a 67 Silverface with 12's but has the big cab like yours, I think it came with Special Designs, the original speakers are long gone, has Eminence in it now and sounds great. I Don't know which ones, haven't opened it yet. Nice looking amp. Are those 15's in yours?

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes, it DOES look great!

But how does it SOUND MAN??????

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Now if only you had an amp and cab that could do those JBLs justice! :D

D.M.N. likes this.
  5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    It sounds OK for what it is. It would need some help in a lot of band scenarios, but for lower volume, it's sweet.

Agreed BP, but it's the beauty factor for me. I was in High School at the time these were out and wanted one so badly. They still look great, IMO. :)

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I was only pulling your leg Oren. I did own a brand spanking new Blonde Black Face Bassman 50 and it’s matching 2x12 cabinet in the latter years of the Sixties. It did look great but sounded like a piece of trash. I returned it after a weekend to find they had sold my trade in. I left it anyway!

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Hey OP, don't let anyone rain on your parade. The rig looks awesome and I'm sure it sounds great too. :thumbsup:

Folks can say what they will about this combination, but I always liked mine back in the day. Despite the somewhat low wattage of the amp and perhaps a bit too small of a cab for the drivers, it sounded great IMO/IME. Now, is it going to handle a stadium gig ? no, of course not, but it will hang just fine with a band that's not screaming loud and a Jazz or Precision through a Bassman/2x15 JBL loaded cab is going to sound great too.

When I needed a rig that had a certain vintage look, I more or less replicated the aesthetics of the Bassman 2x15 that you have. Of course, I'm using a 200w Fender Studio Bass amp instead of the 50w Bassman, and a Faital loaded 2x15 (made by LDS) .. but the look is very similar for sure.

51 P 2.jpg

enjoy!

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Yes - JBL D-140F's

bobyoung53 likes this.
  9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks - your rig looks killer.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    No problem BP. It's weak compared to the same JBL's in a Sunn folded horn cab, but that's a whole 'nother cab design and 300 watts.

bobyoung53 and BassmanPaul like this.
  11. I bought that rig with two cabs in 67'. I was in Junior High, or middle school as its called it now. I was so proud. We played a lot of school dances and local parties. When I got my Sunn 200S it kicked the bassmans butt with a single 215 D140 loaded cab. As soon as I graduated Highschool I went on the road with the sunn and the rest is history.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    chadds and bobyoung53 like this.
  12. Sure, limited power, but great within it's limits.
    Looks wonderful.

bobyoung53 and Oren Hudson like this.
  13. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I still remember the first time I saw a band with a Fender Bassman, it was a blackface in about 1967, the band played my local town hall and I instantly fell in love with it, for the average low volume back then it sounded great. I also remember the first time I saw a band with a Fender Dual Showman amp, 1968. I bought that same Dual Showman a year or two later and sold it maybe 10 years later. I now have both again. Gotta get those old amps we used to drool over when we were kids. The Dual Showman is loud enough to gig with with an SVT bottom and sounds great. I've used the Bassman head and cab in some small rooms, it sounded killer.

Oren Hudson likes this.
  14. Brings back (good) memories!

Oren Hudson and bobyoung53 like this.
  15. Basstigator

Basstigator

Sep 23, 2017
    Wish I still had my cabs. Wish I still had the mustang too. :-( Still have the head.

Attached Files:

Oren Hudson likes this.
  16. funkytoe

funkytoe In Memoriam

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Great restoration Oren. I've always had a fondness for these old amps. Isn't a '68 Bassman the same rig McCartney used for the rooftop concert?

17. Black face with Bassman 212 and Bandmaster 212 early August 1971. AACF5.jpg

Basstigator likes this.
  18. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks funkytoe. Something I love to do. I haven't seen the rooftop in a while, but I believe there's a good chance that's correct.

Love love the pic!

funkytoe likes this.
  19. I only recently realized I can count on one hand the number of pics I have of me playing from earlier than the 90's. It's sad really as I have only the foggy memories. Two of them are in my high school year book. The first ex took thousands of them to the grave after I was long gone. I finally bought myself a camera in the 90's.

20. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I lost a few in a house fire 20 years ago, but many still survive. Hope you are rebuilding since the camera purchase.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022