1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NRD: My Dream Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LoTone, Jun 2, 2018.

1. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    In 1980, I was 12 years old. In terms of music, the 80's is the decade of my teenage years. For my 50th Birthday, I finally gave myself my very own, modernized version, of a California Rig.

CaliforniaRig.

I just purchased the head this afternoon from a fellow bass player through a Kijiji local ad. As you may have seen on a separate thread, I had a surprise regarding the cab. I ordered a Hartke HX210 cab online and when I picked up the cab at the post office, surprise!, the labeling on the shipping box was for a Hartke HD210. Oh well, I think that having the latest version of Hartke's cab is probably for the best in the long term.

The fellow that sold me the head was a very interesting Man. He explained that he started playing in 1967. When I came to his place, he brought me down in the basement so I could try the head before committing to a purchase. The 800RB was connected to an Old School Kustom Tuck-and-Roll 2x15 cab; wow! Next to it, was a Kustom 250 head on top of a second Kustom Tuck-And-Roll 2x15 cab. He later explained that one of the cabs has a built-in 250W power amplifier. So, that rig pulls in 500W of tubey might.

For those of you that do not know what a Kustom Tuck-and-Roll 2x15 cab is. Here is a picture:
    kustom_2_15.

Then, the seller let me try my head with a Talkbass-compliant:
    • Fender '62 Precision MIJ Reissue
    • Sunburst body
    • Rosewood fingerboard
    • Red Tortoise Shell pickguard
    • Fender Flatwound 9050 strings
    Impossible to be more Talkbass-compliant than that! :cool:

I tried the 800RB head. Everything was A-OK. I paid the seller and then...

He hooked up the P-Bass to the Kustom rig. He dialed both the Gain and the Master Volume at 9 o'clock.

He went on to play a little Led Zeppelin riff, Ramble On, and it was as if Thor, The God of Thunder came down from the Heavens and filled is basement with a thick wall of creamy low end goodness! drool

I don't think I was ever plastered by so much low end like this before. I almost soiled my undies. :hyper:

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Happy New Rig day!

mikewalker, BadExample and G-Z like this.
  3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    congrats

4. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm just a little bit jealous! :)

5. DrummerwStrings

DrummerwStrings

Mar 27, 2015
    Philly
    None

dave64o likes this.
  6. joebeadg

joebeadg

Sep 1, 2010
    damn, that head is almost as big as the cab!

petrus61 likes this.
  7. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Congrats on your new rig. GK into Hartke aluminum 10s was the sound of the 80s. All you need is a older boss chorus or flanger and you'll have "the" sound of that era.

8. Ever since seeing Will Lee’s Gallien/Hartke biamp stack on the Letterman show in the 80’s, it was my dream rig too. By 1992, I was earning enough to get it.

I still have it. Congratulations on your acquisitions, and enjoy them.

9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi LoTone :)

Model- T rig!!!! :thumbsup::laugh:

Happy New Rig Day!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

10. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    Not raining on your party in any way, but the Kustom 250 is about 125 Watts of solid state might.
    I used to have the smaller 150 head with a 2x12 cab, and it sounded great, but couldn’t do enough volume to keep up with a couple of fairly loud guitar players.

Now, your GK...that will sound awesome!
    Congrats,

11. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    My 800rb is just great as well. I bought it in 96. Never had a problem with not being loud enough and great tone as well!

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Nice rig congrats!!
    On the other hand every Kustom rig I ever tried sounded like mud or a really nice executed fart..just sayin..

Remyd likes this.
  13. Those new Hartke HD's are truly amazing. The half aluminum half kevlar speakers are a fantastic innovation. Really punchy yet warm. I also really like the fact that you can switch the cab between 4 ohm and 8 ohm. (I have three of the new generation HD 112's that I power with a mesa d-800... killer!)

Rebel Rocker likes this.
  14. LoTone

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I am just telling you what the Man said. Maybe, he thought that he had 500W of muscle. It sure sounded loud.

15. LoTone

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    You re lucky to have that impedance selection feature. In the Hartke HD line, only the 1x12 has that feature. My 2x10 is hardwired at 8 ohm.

16. Yes. That makes the cabs really flexible. I can use one cab switched to 4 ohm, use two cabs at 8 ohm, and add a third or fourth cab at 8 ohm and switch the Mesa D-800 to the two ohm setting.

17. I first played a GK about 1976 -it was a fund drive where another band provided the backline - the Bassist smiled and showed me the basics of his rig -with a GK head ( i do the know the model) It really was amazing and I complimented him on it. - I currently own a GK 250 Backline and I know there are varying opinions about the Backline series - but it really is all I need - GK offers a wide variety of tones & setting and it's a workhorse. congrats on your ne rig - always wanted a Kustom cabinet..hmmmmm.

18. Happy new rig and birth day to ya!

19. LoTone

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    UPDATE:
    I have talked to the store that sold me the Hartke HD 210 cabinet. They advertised a Hartke HX 210 but they shipped a Hartke HD 210 without checking with me first. I have spoken to the Manager and this coming weekend, I will exchange the Hartke HD 210 for a Hartke HD 112. According to Hartke's specs, the 1x12 goes lower and has a great feature; 4ohn vs 8 ohm impedance switch. The 1x12 is rated at 300W RMS which is fine because it matches the maximum output of my head at 4 ohm.