1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NS BassCello (now OmniBass) megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by tappingtrance, Feb 14, 2006.

1. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    Another month has gone by and am really digging the sound. I have a new set of La Bella Deep Talking 0760M strings on here and love the tone. These are thicker strings which causes more tension (.052 up to .110) than the original set that came on the bass. I was not happy with the sound of the original strings and these really brought out a boomier tone. I also added a ZOOM A-3 pedal ( which is an acoustic model/effect pedal and has an Upright setting and can model the acoustic bass top) - that really bridges the gap to an acoustic upright. I'm quite happy with this instrument.

Mark Gollihur likes this.
  2. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    Just finished up a concert on stage with a jazz big band and had many compliments from the audience on how great this Omni NXT bass sounds. I still have the La Bellas on this bass (put on 5 months ago). I went straight into my GK MB15ii amp, I stopped using the Zoom A-3, sonically I didn't add enough to bother with it - but then last night, it would have been nice to have had the boost button at times. The tone was so upright it was great. I'm still loving this bass. Also, I do play finger style in the arco setting - adds that great upright pop and die. I do wish I could try one of the CRM Omni though to see if the blend of the pizz and arco setting makes that much difference. If I knew it made a big difference, I would consider upgrading.

It seems that these basses might not have much of a following (given the lack of activity on this thread) - which is a shame. These are great instruments, excellent quality, traditional sound, very portable and easy to play (traditional uprights do take some work). If anyone who plays electric bass is looking at getting that upright tone and wants/needs to transition quickly - these Omni basses with a 34" scale is the way to go. This bass won't completely jack up your finger spread when you go from one instrument to the other. I love this thing!!

peterpalmieri likes this.
  3. agfrag

agfrag Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Novi, Mi
    SmokinJazz... welcome to the Omni fanbase! Pun intended. I have happened to have owned both, and switched to the Omni after playing upright and EUB for about 20 years and then having some spine surgery. Smaller is better for me. I've owned many EUB's and frankly this Omni is one of the most amazing fretless instruments I've ever owned! (and I also own a Pedulla Buzz bass to die for...) Yes I agree on the upright tone for sure... I don't know how Ned and David Gage (I think he had something to do with the Polar piezo design...?) did it, but I am really surprised at how close to an upright this little guy sounds. Simply amazing. I'll have to post some YouTube stuff one of these days.

The difference between the NXT and CR Omni in my opinion is the blending capability. You can blend between the two piezo pickups, and the EMG's, so the tonal variation is pretty awesome. I usually play 3/4 magnetic and 1/4 arco pickup, it gives me a good sound that speaks to my personal preference. I have not heard any other EUB that comes this close.

And there is nothing on YouTube that shows the tone well either... bummer

My struggle is that my fingers are brain programmed to a larger spacing, and I came real close to popping for the larger CR5M, but my wife stomped on my wallet, and I'm digging in on the Omni CR5 now. The more I play it, the more amazed I am.

Anyway, you made a good choice, the NXT version is really nice, and frankly I liked the NXT5 Omni sound better than my full sized NXT!

I also use a Zoom, the MS-60B to boost the signal, but I've set it flat with a touch of reverb, so as not to compromise the Omni tone.

Try to play with a very light touch once in a while. I'm been experimenting with that on this instrument, and when I do, it sounds even more like an upright to me... let the piezo's and the amp do the work, and you'll be surprised. And I found the stock strings sound the best, except they're a little skinny lol, but it is a 34 inch scale after all.

If you want any clips, pm me... but you may get GAS... ya never know!!!

coyoteboy likes this.
  4. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    Thanks agfrag - that blending ability may push me to upgrade (almost ended up with Peter Palmieri's, but that didn't happen). Now my wife can attest to how awesome this sounds - she was really impressed with the sound at the concert. I also play with a small combo and if we can get a standing gig where I'm actually bringing some money in, then might be able to justify an upgrade. I think that sound with the blended polar piezo pickups would be a winner, and then that blended with some of the magnetic would also be the clincher. The NXT sounds great with just the switch, so the blend should be just awesome!

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Funny, ive been thinking of switching from the dual blend to the switch.

6. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    Hey Coyote - why is that? Is there something you don't like about the blend? If you are serious, maybe we could work out a trade of some sort.

7. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Well, i just find myself using unblended sounds, and i switch between fairly regularly, though the pizz polar gets 80% of the work. Id also gain a knob position and maybe add a mid. Not sure id do it myself, id let the folks at NS make the change, though i haven't inquired about it.

8. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    Here I am - 8 months into owning this NXT Omni and still digging it. I was able to figure out the intonation positions, but also picked up some bad habits that now is causing me some pain. Being a guitarist as well, I am used to hyperextending the first joint of many of my left hand fingers (collapsing the finger flat) to barr chords -- well that isn't so good when it comes to the double bass. It is important to keep them curved and work on allowing the weight of your arm and bigger muscles to push the string down, not squeezing the neck with your fingers and thumb. Now my index finger has some pain when it flattens out. Might be due to the angle my hand is in that is much different than when I wear an electric bass. All I know is that it doesn't hurt much when it is properly curved. There are many postings on line about proper left hand technique - go study up on this! A message to any EB player - if you get one of these, play attention to your left hand position and technique, it does matter!!

peterpalmieri likes this.
  9. Hey SmokinJazz! I had exactly the same problem when I started, with pain in my index finger. I knew that it was from using bass guitar technique, and luckily i've managed to condition myself out of it. I've never learned URB but years of violin lessons as a lad have come in surprisingly handy in informing my technique. I'm still rubbish at arco though, even after about 14 months of trying. It's very different to violin bowing!

SmokinJazz likes this.
  10. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    I have not attempted Arco yet. There is a local fiddle shop that I'm going to swing into and test that out. I would like to see if I can generate a decent sound. I do know they carry bass bows.

I'm glad you were able to improve your condition and eliminate your pain. I'm planning on stepping back to retrain myself on the omni. I trust it will heal up as well. I do have respect for URB players, those can be a monster to play and tough to last for a full gig. I don't think I could do that - physically demanding plus I would need a different vehicle just to haul the instrument!

11. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    So what did you do for the conditioning? strengthen them through exercise or just start playing with better techniques?

12. JackPlug

JackPlug

Jan 3, 2016
    Hi guys, really interesting thread!!

I'm am Omnibus player, my bass uses the boomerang strap and it's actually really good! I have a bow also...my technique for bowing is...unorthodox but it really works...especially for making HUGE drones when i'm recording. I currently use it at my Uni on myjazz course...sounds like an upright! Tutors love it! I have some photos...i noticed i didn't see many in this thread!

Again, maybe it's just a novelty instrument but it's truly wonderful...I don't need to a HUGE case to store it and it's light...very light! Anyway, I'll post a photo/s if you want to check it!

Really great thread to read!

- P.s. Here's my new Alembic!!

Thanks guys, enjoy your Omnibasses

George
    George The Bass

IMG_8415.JPG Omnibass. Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 14.03.55.

Whippet and SmokinJazz like this.
  13. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    Cool groove @JackPlug - good looking fretted Omni. I was checking out your Youtube channel - you have some MAD SKILLS my friend! Very impressive. That Chapman Stick video you just posted is excellent! I think others would love to see it, hope you don't mind me posting it here.

If you happen to get some video of you on the Omni, please post it here - I would love to see it.

Best wishes on your studies. Jam on!

Whippet likes this.
  14. JackPlug

JackPlug

Jan 3, 2016

Thanks very much for the repost!!

Although it's only just appeared on youtube it was actually recorded 2 years ago and I'd only been playing for about 6 months...ish! Really glad you enjoyed it!

If you want to listen to some recorded music, please feel free to check out my soundcloud: GeorgePricee

Thank youuuu
    georgepricebass.com

15. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    Absolutely @JackPlug - Only 6 months - You are a natural. All I can say is "Stick" with it! HA (chapman stick joke).:roflmao:

JackPlug likes this.
  16. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Had a chance to take my Omni out this weekend!

DSC01574 @Heartmatter Artworks 2016.JPG

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  17. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    Wow - look at that - Two posts in a row featuring fretted Omnis. Very nice! Great picture also. I'm glad these basses are getting used out there. I certainly love mine!

18. To be honst, i just couldn't put my Omni down. For a while, whenever I tried to use a flat first finger, I got a jolt of pain. The sensible thing might have been to give it a break, but it acted as a reminder, like a strict teacher hitting my hand with a ruler whenever I made a mistake! I'm not really a supporter of corporal punishment as a teaching method, but I have to admit it seems to have worked in this case!

The main problem I had was using a flattened finger to "bar" when transferring between strings, but i now use two separate fingers to execute this manoeuvre. It was quite counterintuitive at first, but it feels like second nature now.

19. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Have anyone tried the new NXTa version of the Omnibass? I'd like a fretless buddy to my fretted one, but the CR version is a bit too expensive at the moment :nailbiting:

20. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Thread bump! Joining this not-club soon. This will NS instrument #3 for me. Great stuff, and Ned is the coolest dude. He sent me my avatar.

<--