1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NS BassCello (now OmniBass) megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by tappingtrance, Feb 14, 2006.

1. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    IMG_3681.JPG First gig with the Omni. Wow. Great sound and feel. Might want a touch more string tension.

peterpalmieri and eyvindwa like this.
  2. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Side note: anyone with a CR tripod stand they arent using, please get in touch, thanks!

3. Voci

Voci

Oct 19, 2014
    Hi,

I'm primarily a bass guitarist, but have had an Omnibass for a while. I've only performed on it once so far, which was at an acoustic jam. Went well. I'm now considering using it for a roadhouse blues/rockabilly/rock'n'roll band I play BG in. I'm more confident now fretless, though to be able to continue to jump about I might also invest in a fretted one. We'll see.

One struggle that I have had is settlling on a playing height for the instrument. I've experimented with it at various heights on the CR stand, but none feels right and I keep tinkering. Any advice? Assume that I will rarely, if ever, use a bow.

Thanks.

4. Voci

Voci

Oct 19, 2014
    BTW I just found a little advice in the NXT megathread - the entirety of which didn't come up in my search for "Omnibass"!

5. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Well, since no-replied, I bought one from thomann.de. It is a good instrument, but unfortunately for me the tone does not quite compare to the CR version. Consequently, I have returned it (thanks to thomann's liberal return policy). Guess I'll have to save up for a CR fretless, unless anyone wants to sell me theirs? :D

6. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    As to playing height for Omni on the stand: ive settled on just around chin height @ the nut. For full size DB i liked eyeball height @ the nut.

7. Voci

Voci

Oct 19, 2014
    Thanks - lower than I've tried. I'll give it a go.

8. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    FYI for anyone thinking of getting a full URB - I was thinking about getting an URB for a while and pulled the trigger on a Shen SB200 Willow 3/4. I've been playing a NS Design NXT Omni (34" scale, of course you know that) for a couple of years and transitioned to this 41.5" scale with no problem (your experience may vary). I have really long fingers that fit well on the URB. For example, when I put thumb on the back of the headstock scroll, my pinky falls exactly where the G is on the E string (on the Omni - that is about G#). I actually played my first gig with it after just having it for 10 days (it wasn't perfect, but then I'm often not perfect anyway - but am usually always on the 1). Almost did my first gig within the first week, but chickened out and played the Omni - took half a set to shrink back down to the shorter scale, I had only played the upright for that week and when I played the omni at the restaurant, I kept overshooting the notes. It is shorter and thinner - and much easier to play. I will tell you this - the Omni bass does an excellent job sounding like an all-wood upright (I have LaBella flats on the Omni) and now being able to really compare the two - I am amazed at how good the Omni sounds. I always thought it sounded like an URB, but now I really know just how good it sounds. I wanted to post this comparison. I do need to find a good instructor (jazz preferably) to get me on the right technique path.

coyoteboy likes this.
  9. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    My Omni sounds like the best fretless
    Electric ive played, and I can put a bow on it and it sounds even better.

DB tone? Dunno, but it sounds goooood.

SmokinJazz likes this.
  10. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    Well here are a couple clips from a gig we did at a club - to me this sounds like an upright. This was recorded with a zoom H2n mic - these are quite good and pretty inexpensive. Black Orpheus was done in a swing style instead of a latin.

Mark Gollihur and coyoteboy like this.
  11. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Torrance, CA
    Sounds very nice, and definitely in the ballpark but it doesn't sound like my DB to me. Really dig that guitarist; happening band all around!

Mark Gollihur and SmokinJazz like this.
  12. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Perfect upright tone? No. But it sounds close enough to me to justify the reasoning to use an EUB when it's more practical.

If you were doing a jazz festival with an audience filled with snobs, I'd probably recommend bringing a "real" bass, as people usually hear with their eyes, and to that crowd it would definitely matter. But for a club date, where people are talking loudly and not really focusing on the band - I've got no problem with the sounds you're getting here. Nice playing, nice recording, nice tone. :)

As for hearing with their eyes, a blind test would confirm that. I'm fairly confident that if you posted these clips in a different subforum, and made no mention of the fact that you're playing an EUB (and a short-scale one, at that!) that you'd get complimentary comments from other bassists who wouldn't "notice" that it's not a "real" bass.

SmokinJazz likes this.
  13. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    Thanks Mark - The club space we were in was quite small too. Fortunately these people weren't jazz snobs and even though they could see what I was playing, they were really shocked at the tone - some said they didn't know what to expect and were quite happy. I agree that it isn't a perfect upright tone, but I definitely sense it leaning more upright than fretless electric slab when I play it. At least I can't get a fretless to sound like this. I do have one secret ingredient that I use with the Omni - that is the TC Electronic Corona Chorus pedal. It has the ability to download "toneprints" to it and a couple that are done specifically for EURs. I use the one from Jon Thorne - it adds a bit of open-ness that I think aids to the upright vibe. I do now have an URB and it is truly the sexiest instrument in the band! I also like how I am able to better hide my expanding gut with a full upright (much easier than with the Omni for sure!)

coyoteboy and Mark Gollihur like this.
  14. Suresh

Suresh

Apr 15, 2007
    Hello....I is that a walk and play stand you re using for your Electric Bass?...could you please tell me the brand ? I have heavy 6 strings Alembics and really need those kinds of stands.

Thanks
    Suresh/

15. Suresh

Suresh

Apr 15, 2007
    Guys , I just bought a used Fretted Omnibass 5...previously I ve been using a CR5...
    I found that the strings on Omni is too skinny and not tight enough...
    I need advise..what 5 strings , with a Low B, are available for use with the Omni.., that can be plucked as well as bowed. ?
    any input will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    best regards
    Suresh

16. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I will be honest one of the main reasons I sold the Omni was a frustration with string choices.

17. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The main component is the MBrace, which is a molded plastic bracket that holds the guitar by its strap pins and has a threaded mic stand recepticle on the bottom. Since I also play my Omni on a stand, i incorporated both on a Gibralter side stealth rack and set them side by side. I can elaborate more if you are interested.

18. SmokinJazz

SmokinJazz

Mar 17, 2013
    Denver
    I didn't notice they were on the same connected stand - I would suspect that is really stable. Cool design.

19. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    IMG_3872.JPG

THEByleDuct likes this.