1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS BassCello (now OmniBass) megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by tappingtrance, Feb 14, 2006.

1. praxiscat

praxiscat

Nov 11, 2017
    I just got myself an five string omnibass, and I must say I love it. The scale is pretty perfect for me, as is the weight. I have smaller hands and have no issue traversing around the fingerboard. I might change the tuning from low B to high C on the fifth string, but that is because this is the first time playing with a five string bass. I was always trying to find a smaller scale electric upright, and I was not crazy about the kydd or zeta basses which had the smaller scale. This one on the other hand is pretty close to perfect for me.
    Also the boomerang strap system is very uncomfortable, I am glad I had the stand already with my NS electric cello. My advice to people if they get one is to pay the extra and get the stand. Very happy I have this...I finally found a bass I love.

eyvindwa, Mark Gollihur and coyoteboy like this.
  2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    IMG_4499.JPG

Just a quick note: looks like the Plano Moulding 108191 is a good fit for one or two from NS. Carry on.

Florinda4, nbsipics and joppo like this.
  3. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Nice! Can I ask you why you want to carry two of them around, @coyoteboy ?`

FWIW, I have had success carrying one Omni with this case (including in the cargo hold on flights), bought from Gollihur Music:

2018-03-16 11.30.37.jpg

(On the right hand side - on the left is the case for my "normal" bass guitar.)

coyoteboy likes this.
  4. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Well, the other one is a cello, but besides, to get the length, the width was widthy enough for two. Ill get another insert to swap out to carry one + stand.

5. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Haha, oh yeah, I see that now :unsure:

I've been lusting for one of those for some time now - how would you say it compares to the Omni Bass?

6. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    Because more is more!

joppo, coyoteboy and eyvindwa like this.
  7. Wow, the cello is stunning! That is a great idea for a case. Did you cut the insert yourself or have it made?

8. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Its a 'pick n pluck' layer. I think ill get a couple more pluckable layers to give me options to carry one instrument and the tripod stand next to. I got tired of the 'dropsies' with gig bags. Oops! I almost forgot about the bows!

bodollar and joppo like this.
  9. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    Make sure you have something to wrap around the stand. I have a similar Pelican case and United Airlines made me re-pack everything at the airport. The baggage handlers could not contain their excitement at the sight of my case and handled it in such a way that the stand made contact with the instrument and now I have a dent which always reminds me of my time in Mexico.

10. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Yeah for sure. Thinking of sleeves to put over the case contents. Though I don't anticipate any flights with this.

11. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Great idea, where did you buy the foam?

12. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The foam came with the case

13. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I now use my 5 string NS Omnibass for my church gig all the time. The music director really loves the versatility of the instrument because the band has to maintain a very traditional vibe with certain songs and still be able to cover some contemporary material as well.

I have managed to find a control setting to go from playing with the bow and then plucking for a fretless bass guitar sound without touch the controls. I’m also using a SansAmp ParaDI to massage the signal going to the house PA /in ears monitors. Just a slight dip of 3K to smooth/ warm up the bow sound a bit.

14. Impostor

Impostor

Sep 29, 2008
    Hello colleagues,

Got my Omni Bass this summer, and found little use of the Boomerang strap system (too uncomfortable for the left hand in the upright position, problematic to get a good intonation, and, finally, impossible to play with a bow). Currently I most often just place it on top of a chair, and I'm going to get a tripod stand for it.

Can anyone tell what's the difference in height between the NXT Double Bass Tripod Stand and the NXT Cello Tripod Stand, maybe someone has tried both with an Omni? Can the double bass stand be set up low enough for playing in a seated position? If anyone can say the exact minimum/maximum height of those stands, that would be even better!

15. I believe the same tripod stand is used for both the cello and basses (Omni Bass and the double bass). The CR Tripod on the website is listed for both cello and double bass. I have the tripod stand that came with my NS Cello, and the tripod cardboard box had cello and bass written on it.

The minimum height on my tripos is 23 inches from the floor to the cello mounting screw, and maximum height is 37 inches. The CR stand on the is built a little differently so those measurements probably don't apply

16. The CR tripod stand can be adjusted so the legs lay flat on the floor. So the CR stand minimizes the possibility of you or someone else catching a foot on one of the legs of the NXT stand, which is basically a cymbal type of stand. I had the CR stand for years with a custom made vertical bass and it's a really versatile and sturdy stand.

17. Impostor

Impostor

Sep 29, 2008
    Well, if anyone's curious, I've got a reply from NS, they say the NXT stand min-max height is 23"-40" for cello stand, 29"-48" for bass stand.

18. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yesterday at my church service I decided to record a song with my Omnibass. This is a good example of me needing a quick transition between arco orchestral parts and strong-sustained bass guitar notes.

I’m using the GHS precision light gauge flat wound strings. The sound you hear in the video is from an Ampeg 8 inch combo amp. The sound man gets my signal from a Tech 21 para DI.

19. 1975Bassist

1975Bassist Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Cincinnati
    Maybe it's my hearing, but I can't hear much coming from your Omnibass to gauge its tone on your video post. Maybe its because I am listening it without headphones???

20. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Curious if anyone has tried the La Bella Gold flats on their Omni? Tension might be on the high side, and I would be bowing on them for sure.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021