1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS BassCello (now OmniBass) megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by tappingtrance, Feb 14, 2006.

1. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Sounds great! How do you find the strings compared to the stock ones?

2. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The GHS flats have a beefier tone with more sustain.

3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    75F0E33B-995A-40D7-8C24-9C261B688668.jpeg To anyone here who uses the tripod stand with the tilt back leg (original design I believe) I got some 3/16” rubber edge guard to get the metal edge of the back leg off the ground. I can send a couple lengths along in an envelope to anyone who needs.

4. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Does anyone have any experience with a hardcase that could fit both an "ordinary" bass guitar and the omni (preferably with stand)? Flying with, and dragging around, two hard cases is a bit of a, well, drag...

A guy on another forum is getting an Enki double case, and said he could measure for me when it arrives, so that might or might not work out.

https://www.thomannmusic.no/enki_amg_2_bass_double_case.htm

5. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    I recently got an offer to trade my Music Man Bongo for a CR5 Omni, and although I wasn't even considering a trade (I wanted to sell the Bongo), it was such an unexpected and interesting offer that I just couldn't resist--especially since the CR5 would have no overlap with any of my other basses in form/function/sound. So now I'm a proud owner of a CR5 (with tripod, Boomerang strap system, and a Glasser fiberglass cello bow).

It was quite a shock at first because I had never played an upright bass or cello, so the curved fingerboard really threw me off, and I couldn't play even the simplest lines without messing up. But after practicing on it for just an hour or so, I got much better at it. Now it feels a lot more natural, but I still can't play as accurately/expressively/fast on it as I could on a normal bass neck.

I also tried bowing, and that's been a learning experience too. I didn't even know I needed rosin--I simply wondered why the hell I couldn't make any decent sounds. But now I have Kolstein dark rosin and I can make sounds--except it sounds like the croaking of a dying cat, or a 3-yr old child learning a bowing instrument for the first time. It's going to sound like a mess for a while until I get the hang of it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  6. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Welcome to the wold of Omni. Dont be stingy with the rosin on the bow hair, but also wipe it off the strings after youre done for the session. Also make sure theres enough tension in the bow. If its a cello bow, the middle of the hair should be about a pinky width from the stick. Make sure to take the tension out when youre done. Cheers!

31HZ and Lunatique like this.
  7. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    I need a little help with my CR5. It's now got problems with the electronics.

The piezo/EMG blend knob can intermittently get extremely noisy, as if there's nonstop loud static. Turning it back and forth doesn't help. The pizzicato side of the piezo also suddenly lost all the bass frequencies in the E string, and it seems to affect the Arco portion of for the E string too, but not nearly as bad as the pizzicato side. And this is even with a fresh pair of 9V batteries.

What is wrong with it? What can I do about it?

8. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I would advise calling NS directly. IME, they are very helpful folks. Also a good chance of speaking to Ned himself.

Lunatique and hensonbass like this.
  9. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    Update on the problem with the CR5.

I opened up the back and checked if there are issues with the wiring or erosion or dust, and everything looked good. I unplugged a few pins and put them back in, and nothing changed. I then sprayed an electronics contacts cleaner/conditioner into the piezo rotary. It didn't seem to do anything, but then when I decided to give up and screw the backplate back in, the noise suddenly went away. I'm assuming it took a little longer for the spray to seep into the area that needed it. Now everything seems fine.

Just wanted to share that. So I guess for now, it's okay. If the problem returns, I'll let you know.

coyoteboy likes this.
  10. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    I need a recommendation for a stand.

I mostly use the CR5 with the Boomerang strap system, but I have no way of easily putting the bass away on a stand like I could with normal basses on a guitar stand. Unscrewing the strap system and then screwing the CR5 onto the tripod stand would be too time-consuming each time. The bass end pin stand and conversion kit could work, but I prefer to wear the Boomerang strap while sitting down. Can you recommend me a stand that I could easily put the CR5 on and take it off like how I could with normal basses and guitar stands? I think there are stands where the bass would hang by the headstock instead of the body resting at the bottom? What are those stands called? Is that the only option?

11. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    3765AB12-73C3-41C3-A5CE-5BACFAADCFFB.jpeg I use the Hercules triple stand w the locking cradles. The cr5 rests on the volute instead of the shoulders, but works fine. Hercules also makes single and double cradle stands.

12. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
  13. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    BTW, I should mention that although I took care of the noise problem, the arco side of the piezo pickup is still very anemic in the bass frequencies. No idea what could be the problem. I've emailed NS about it, but I was wondering if anyone here ever had that problem?

14. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    To be clear, its anemic when you are actually playing arco?

15. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    HAHAHAHHA. Oh man, I feel so stupid now. I haven't really spent time bowing on it yet (I'm not a string player), and now that I actually spent time bowing in arco, it sounds fine. I guess the way the piezo pickup is designed, in arco mode it picks up the low frequency vibration from the bow/string effectively, but not when plucking.

16. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The primary string vibration direction is different for pizz and arco, therefore the reason for a system that picks up each direction separately. Its all good man.

17. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    Do you still have the rubber edge guards? Do they go on easy? It would be nice to have when using the tripod on a hard surface.

18. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    If you are curious about what the NS Omni Bass sounds like played in an Americana rock trio format you might find this link interesting: JG

It was recorded live with a DI and a mic’d Ampeg SVT. Definitely has a fretless electric bass tone but I think you can hear some upright vibe in it as well.

I think it strikes a good balance and contributes a unique kind of vibe. It reminds me somewhat of the King Crimson live recordings with Tony Levin playing an NS double bass.

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    Hey peeps,

The call of the omni bass at times twinges as I have a NS upright and cello and the idea of something in-between is intriguing.
    However, the issue of strings always holds me back. Can these only be used with their special strings / bass guitar strings? is there a way to use a 1/4 size upright string?

20. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Havent tried small scale db strings, but there are lots of BG options you might consider.

Theres also the eub strings thread I started.

Im happy so far w the ernie ball group flats, though they arent copping a db vibe. Im going for growl and snarl.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021