1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS BassCello (now OmniBass) megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by tappingtrance, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    That defiantly is the opposite of what I would want.. I wouldn't want anything that sounds like a bass guitar.. that is too much of a compromise, I mean I guess one could get a WAVE or NXT and do violone strings with tied frets but that sounds silly when you say it out loud...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I've tried a few options; none of the nylon tape-wounds I've tried work to capture a more "authentic" upright tone, and they suck under the bow. Same deal with the phosphor-bronze strings they make for acoustic bass guitars. I like the GHS Precision Flatwound bass guitar strings; although they sound similar to the stock strings, and bow about the same, they're about 1/3 the cost.

At one point, @Jon Moody and I were discussing the possibility of an Omni-length set of the Crossovers, similar to those that GHS came out with (for the full-scale EUBs) under his direction (and my assistance and testing) - with all that has happened in the world, I don't know where that project is - maybe he could let us know if that is still a viable project or if it's been ruled out?

Also of note, I've been working with Nino - who makes the NinoMute for Nordstrand, which has been so useful on the full-scale NS basses - and we will have within about 5-10 days a handful of the new OmniBass model of the Ninomute. It helps to bring a better timbre to the Omni, reducing the twang and increasing the thump. Once they're available, I'll have them on the site, hopefully with a demo video like the one we have for the full size one.

coyoteboy and peterpalmieri like this.
  3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron

Mark Gollihur likes this.
  4. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Hi Mark,

Do you reckon that this mute is only useful for fingerstyle playing, or does it also provide advantages when playing arco?

5. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    We'll throw a bow on it when we do our video. The difference for arco is subtle, though.

eyvindwa likes this.
  6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I have a set of the Omni Crossovers from GHS. I think theyre going on my MM Big Al for its next string change.

7. inluvwithsara

inluvwithsara

Sep 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    I completely swear by mine!
    0EAE011A-6C43-4FC3-8610-9E5805B23804.jpeg 89F812DB-829A-4DBB-9424-192F89509C60.jpeg

Mark Gollihur and squarewave like this.
  8. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Happy (former) owner of an NXT5 upright - and now an NXT5-omni, and have a quick question about the elctronics. Since the Omni has an arco/pizz switch - is there some way to route the output from each "mode" to a separate output jack so that it could be run as a stereo signal & process the two signals separately?

I've had a look at the switch, but given my limited knowledge of electronics - am not quite sure.

9. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    I have an older schematic of the wiring for the WAV, which is similar - but will have some differences, since the NXTa has the active circuit. But the straight dope is that the bridge has two different pickups, of different orientations and thicknesses, to create the two different modes.

Here's the schematic - which, again - be careful, it will have some important differences, but the front end (pickups to switch) part may be helpful. Perhaps someone more adept than I with schematics can offer a suggestion...

Attached Files:

kumimajava likes this.
  10. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks - that's really helpful. The one I have is the NXT5-omni, without the pre-amp, and the way my two-way switch is wired looks very similar... but somehow, my tone-pot has no capacitor, though one is wired to the switch (labelled 102 - I guess for 1,000 pF?). curious.

It also has the rotating-then-click volume pot, which is not explained in the manual (a paper one that came with the bass) - but I expect that at the "click" the tone-pot gets completely bypassed? Will investigate further tomorrow, and perhaps post some pics of the snake-nest in case anyone else is also curious :)

11. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Ah, the Jackpot. Yes, that uses a special circuit, where you do a full bypass of the pot when you click it fully open. Here's a schematic of that setup (sorry for the quality):

Attached Files:

12. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Yes - that's precisely what it looks like, inside!

Now only to figure out how to translate this to dual-output wiring. It looks like the way of wiring piezos is quite different from magnetics... off to the "electroncis forum" it is ;)

13. You need two impedance buffers if you want both pickups individually, but I’m pretty sure there is only one inside that gets a switched input (either or).

14. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    The basic wiring is passive, so there's one output that gets switched & then goes to a buffer. No issue at all with having two separate buffers - just need to figure out which pairs of leads should be separated... for some reason, it's not obvious to me from the diagram (yep, i'm somewhat dim in electronics)

15. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Hey, I just stumbled upon this thead and already have learned a bunch. I bought a used Omni CRM a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. My original intent had been to replace by NS NXT upright with a CRM upright (to get more tonal options) but after some thought and research I decided to go Omni instead. Glad I did. I've mostly been an electric (fretless) bassist, and not trained on upright. So the 34" scale has been much less of a struggle for me. I play in a trio with a keyboardist and a percussionist and I switch off between guitar and bass, so having an electric upright on a tripod is super convenient.

coyoteboy and kumimajava like this.
  16. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Welcome!

DanTheQuaker likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021