1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS-CR5 STRING & SETUP ADVICE ....

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bassedsouth, Dec 5, 2006.

1. I got my NS-CR5 today :D .
    I'd like to know if anyone has tried real DB strings on these basses , and if so would the action have to be raised , and what sound differences / feel etc can be expected ?? Also any other feedback would be great .

Overall it's a really nice playing and sounding instrument .

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yup - if you have a look around here there has been a load of discussion about this!

I have a CR5 and I put Pirastro Orchs on it for a darker sound closer to "real" DB. Thanks Francois!

I noticed a huge step up in quality - especially on the G string !

I alwasy try to raise the action as high as possible, as this makes it sound more like DB again!

Real DB strings are no problem - the bass is designed so you can have either - so the longer DB strings are taken round the bottom of the bass and fitted in the slots a little way up the back of the bass - whereas the NS strings finish at the bottom of the bass.

Hope this helps! :)

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I just put TI Superflexibles on my CR5M. I am pretty happy with it. The tone is fuller and a little more rounded. I tried the original NS strings and absolutely hated the bass with those strings.

Conventional DB strings are larger in size and likely to be stiffer than than NS strings. If you also play DB, you may prefer this, but if not, it may take some getting used to.

I also found the the tone of the bass using the piezo PUs is much better. The magnetic PUs are about the same but with perhaps a bit more depth. If your bass has only the piezos (which I think it does) you may notice a really big improvement in tone using a DB string.

I don't keep the action high, I actually like it as low as I can get it. I really don't have a huge interest in getting a more-representitive DB sound. I kind like the uniqueness of what the bass is.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Actually I'm finding the low action a problem, as I only practice on DB and really love getting my fingers under the strings and pulling through...:)

But then when I come to play gigs on the CR5, I am struggling a bit and fumbling for a few tunes, before I get used to it again!! ;)

5. Interesting ... I am going to string up with real DB strings for sure as the NS at the moment kind of feels like an electric bass with a thick neck . I also like the feel of 'digging in' on a DB , and that type of 'resistance' is lacking here , the stock strings are pretty light as well !!

6. Just to add experiences from another CRM5 owner.

I hated the "fretless bass" feel of the original strings. Replaced them with Pirastro Obligatos and that deepened and darkened the sound considerably. Raised the action, ditto to others here.

Now, when i pick up someone's double bass, I'm perfectly comfortable. Feels easier, in some ways.

Good Luck!
    --p

7. Paul_C

Paul_C Builder: Arrowheadguitars Basses

Mar 5, 2005
    Northampton, UK
    I fitted a set of medium D'Addario Helicore Hybrids to my CR4 today - it sounds more "authentic" now and (not just because of that) is more pleasing to my ears, less twang and more thump.

P.