Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NS DB battery (cell) life?!

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by junglejim, Jul 27, 2005.

1. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    all NS DB players...
    how long do the batteries (cells) (2x 9v) last in your bass?...
    ive had to change them 3 times in as many months twice in rehearsals and the Bass completely died in a gig last night! luckily it was the last chart!!!!
    as you know when you have double bass strings onchanging the battery is a major job!

I am very careful to take the jack out whenever not playing, I think maybe my bass not shutting down when i do this?

do you think i can run it on a 18v transformer?

J

2. allthumbs

allthumbs

Dec 30, 2004
    South Devon, UK
    Sounds to me like you may have a problem somewhere. I've had my NS for three and a half years now and it's only on its second set of batteries, and that's with fairly regular use (up to a couple of gigs per week, plus practice).

I always carry a spare set just in case as you get virtually no warning they're about to die, though that's not much help if they run out half-way through the set. You're right, changing the batteries with DB strings on is a pain, so I think I'll get into the habit of testing/changing the batteries on a regular basis (annually?) to be on the safe side.

I've never heard of the bass being adapted to run off a transformer, but I suppose there's no reason why it couldn't be done. Might be worth calling the guys at the bass centre (assuming that's where you got it from) and asking their advice they've always been v. helpful.

3. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    The batteries that came on my NS died in two weeks. I changed for a brand new set and they last a month! (rehearsal at least four hours every day). Now I'm on tour doing several concerts per week and I haven't change them for tree months! And changing batteries with DB strings is definitely a pain!

4. kewleb

kewleb

May 18, 2005
    Liverpool, England
    The batteries in my CR4M seem to last ages, at least a few months. I tend to take spares with me and a battery tester on tour with me, just to be sure though. I always unplug the bass when I'm not using it too.

5. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i change mine montly at least but have never experienced a noticeable loss in signal. this is with daily use/gigs. i can manage to get the batteries in/out fairly easily if i loosen the A string(cr5m) and nuge it to the side for each battery. definitely not the best battery compartment design.
    cheers
    d

6. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    My EU5 eats batteries if you leave the thing plugged in all the time. Your post doesn't specify whether you always remember to do this. This factor will definitely account for the difference results the other responders had.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Same for me - I've had mine about 3 years and the batteries have only run out twice. :)