1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS Design Boomerang™ Strap System

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jazzdogg, May 9, 2010.

1. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  2. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Bump: 45 nibbles, no bites.

3. emg456

emg456

Nov 1, 2009
    Ok then = I'll bite.

I just got a bass recently which was fitted with an NS Boomerang.

Firstly, I'll state upfront that my application is quite different to the norm in that I like to wear the bass on a very short strap, so that it sits just under my chest. This is a lot higher than most like their bass and way different to the old school rock 'n roll gunslinger style. Think around about where Mark King of Level 42 wears his?

The Boomerang does not allow me to get the bass in that sort of a position, simply because the two arms are quite long and both curve upwards from the mounting point. So you're already getting probably about 8 inches of drop from just the arms before you take into account the strap. I just couldnt get the strap short enough to compensate. I had the same problem with the original strap pivot plates on my Steinbergers which I solved by using left-hand pivot plates which put a very short arm to the side the bass hangs from and the longer arm sitting horizontally to the strap which goes under my right arm - I am a right handed player. I thought I would simply be able to do this with the Boomerang - swap the arms around? However, the design of the Bomerang prevents this from working - both arms are much longer than their equivalent on the old Steinberger strap pivot and they sit much further apart and induce far more drop from the mounting point than the old system.

I've now sorted it out using brute force and a hacksaw but would have to say that if you don't wear the bass quite low on the strap, I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend the Boomerang.

Of course as with all of Ned's designs, there are little aspects of elegance and attention to detail which are impressive and in the context for which it was originally intended - supporting an NS Upright on a strap - it's probably an excellent solution.

Again. I'm a bit of an oddball case - many seem to use and love the Boomerang. If you're thinking of fitting it to an original Steinberger L or XL bass, bear in mind that the Boomerang uses a different thread to the insert on those basses. Andy Yakubic of Steinbergerworld.com has an ongoing arrangement with Ned to supply a special version of the Boomerang with the original thread pitch. I believe he's also working on bringing a mounting plate to market which will be easily attachable to any conventional instrument. You can contact him through the Steinbergerworld Yahoo! group.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ed

4. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Very helpful. Thank you!