1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NS Design / CR 5 String! Comments Please?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by powermans, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Ok, so I've got a number of D/Basses around the house and yes, I enjoy each of them and have been happy with my lot until this week when, me and the Mrs took a short weekend trip down to Melbourne. When ever I take these short trips I ALWAYS check out the local Jazz Shops/ CD Shops/ and of course Bass Shops. Well I wandered into "The Bass Centre"in Melbourne for a quick squiz and, 6 feet in from the front door I was confronted with a 4 String NS Design EUB.At first, I didn't take a lot of interest however, explained to the salesman that I was interested in what they had in the way of D/B's well, there's one Chinese job (Black) in the front window 3/4 he said , to which I replied ...yeh saw that! He said what did I think of the Steinberger? to which I claimed ignorance and explained that I really knew very little about them. With that, he had the EUB and stand under the right arm and headed towards the amp section where he connected with a GK 400RB. Well to cut to a sprint I spent the best part of the next hour having an absolute ball with this EUB! I nearly, spent the $4200.00 on the spot that he wanted for the beast and bolted however, calmed down and thought I'd look into this new toy a little further hence , the enquiry here!!!

Since returning to Brisbane, I find that I can purchase a 5 string NS Design CR (these are made in the Czech Republic) with stand and Gig bag for about $5000.00 Aussie./ I've always had a liking for a FIVE string over a four and would VERY MUCH appreciate any of you other D/Bers out there that maybe have had one.... or have one of these and can give me an opinion!

I note that E-bay have a guy up in Seattle who is selling an NS 5 string (made in Maine) last bid is $3050.00US in a hard case! Not Bad either, a bit far for to go to pick it up! :D

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup I've got a 5-string - NS CR5 and I 've been playing it for over 2 years and really enjoying it. I love the sound and I always get comments - people trying to photograph it, asking questions - saying things like : "how does it produce so much sound, when so much is missing!!?? ;)

I think it was money very well spent - although at the time I bought it, I would have had a "real" DB if I could have found one at a similar price or at all! But I had been looking for about 18 months, couldn't find one and didn't want to wait any longer - so, I have had a lot of enjoyment out of playing the CR5 and am very glad I bought it.

Strengths are portability, small storage space, no feedback, integral amplification system "plug and play", easy access to all of the fingerboard, possibility to use real, full-scale DB strings - I have Pirastros , rugged construction, modern looks and very usable sound for all types of music - especially acoustic genres.

Oh and playing the occasional low D or C on the B string, really shakes the floor!! ;)

3. Thanks Bruce,
    You're making my mouth water! A couple of questions please,
    I note that I can purchase either the CR5 with the Polar directional piezo or the CR5M with the added magnetic pick-up . What have you got? Is the Magnetic an advantage?Also, as I am a KEEN user of Pirastro Obligatos/ Pizzicatos/ Jazzers on my full size basses, can you tell me if they ALL fit the unit OK and is there a limit to string guage that you can use? I see it comes with a set of D'Addario......
    I note that the off the shelf string seems to fit down the back / under/ and up the neck to use up ALL the string length..... I guess! I like the idea of NO FEEDBACK sounds to easy! I would be interested to know what you have in the way of an amp? I found on the model in the shop that I played.....it had a hugh variation in the tone/sound that I could get from just peaking the blend controls! Also I gather that yours is the Czech Model? or is it the US model. Have you been happy with the construction of the unit? Any Problems? Many Thanks Bruce. :help:

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I found the magnetics make it sound more like bass guitar and as I have two I felt no need of this - I preferred the piezo sound - more 'acoustic', so bought a piezo-only model - I think it looks 'neater' also!
    That's right - you can use any DB strings you like!

That's right - I found the amplification has a big effect, so my EA VL208 gets a really great acoustic-like sound and reproduces all of what you do faithfully - along with my Eden WT300.

But I have played it on stage at Jazz clubs where it was necessary to use what was there, due to time/space constraints and then I felt I might as well be using a fretless BG !! :(

Czech model!

Yes - very robust, hardly ever goes out of tune - I can't think of any problems I've had.

The only thing I can think of is that some people who have tried it said they would prefer a higher action - I did raise it slightly, but I don't seem to be able to get it any higher - although I'm not bothered and I've never taken it to a Luthier or anybody to get it set up - maybe an "expert" could do this?