NS Design Cr5 Radius Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Carl S, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Carl S

Carl S

May 30, 2019
    Has anyone used an NS Design bass? I'm particularly interested in the CR5 Radius fretless. But there isn't anyone near me who stocks them, and they are a bit pricey to just order without playing. I love the design but want to know that they feel and sound as good as they look. I've watched a few videos on line and they sound good and seem to impress those playing them, but would like to hear from anyone who has personal experience. Thanks.

2. Not the fretless, but I play the fretted one and it's fab.

Extremely well built and sturdy, big range of sounds, controls are easy to use, comfortable on a strap and on your lap and plays very nice indeed. It also doesn't go out of tune very often and uses standard strings... what's not to like??

The new version is a bit cheaper and has a rechargeable battery system, like a super capacitor type setup. Looks cool but misses the piezo which I think is one of the biggest sonic advantages.

bertthebassist likes this.
  3. Carl S

Carl S

May 30, 2019
    Thanks for your quick response. The CR series does still have the piezo, which is one of the reasons I'm attracted to the fretless version. I'm in need of replacing my current fretless. Good to have the opinion of an actual user. Cheers.

4. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    CR Basses are top of the line NS Design basses one of the best basses I had the pleasure of owning and playing. I'm sure the fretless CR will blow you away in terms of tone considering the piezo option it has. I wasn't a fan of the Piezo in my fretted CR but I know for a fact that it'll help a TON for the fretless model. Good luck!

5. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I used to own the fretted version and ended up moving on from it. It was a good bass but I never fully bonded with its tonal palate. I'm not a well versed fretless player but I could really see the fretless CR bass really work.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

6. Anyone know how the neck compares to the Stingray 5 as far as width and thickness goes? Also, is it a smooth satin-like finish like on the MM? I really want one of these but I doubt I’ll find anywhere I could demo one.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Is this the fretted version of that bass? I thought it was very well made. My main issue was that I thought body was too big.

bertthebassist likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022