1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale NS Design CR5M electric upright with soft case, flight case, 2 stands/ strap system/ bow

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by D.A.R.K., Mar 15, 2020.

1. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Price:
    $2600.00
    Strings:
    NSCR5M EUB.
    Purchased new in 2003.
    Has been worked on once by David Gage, fingerboard leveling and setup. No issues since.
    Bass has been toured, but works great, truss has no issues (in my climate I do a slight tweak twice a year with humidity/ seasonal changes, 1/4 turn at most).
    Capable of hyper low action.
    Insanely clear, articulate low end, great Arco sound.
    Magnetic and piezo pickups, polarity switch, blend, volume, bass/ treble controls.
    18 volt preamp.
    Play wear and tour wear, but no abuse scars or damage.
    Was the #1 for a decade.
    Has not seen as much playing recently, only gigged 6 times or so per year, the last few years.
    Strung with Helicore Hybrid medium gage.
    Comes with standard tripod stand, hip-rest single peg stand, and shoulder strap/ brace "boomerang" attachment.
    ATA flight case included, as well as padded soft case (not pictured).
    Extra set of Helicore Hybrid strings (used).
    Don't want to sell, but like many, have lost all my work- so no trades.
    Bow included- Brazilwood, German grip (made by Ari I believe)
    New investment cost:
    Bass new 2003: $2,350.00
    Under Cover bag: $150.00
    Flight Case: $350.00
    NS boomerang shoulder strap system:$150.00
    NS bass endpin stand: $175.00
    Ari Brazilwood bow: $250.00
    $2600.00/ or best reasonable offer depending upon deal/ PayPal/ buyer pays actual shipping or pick up in the DC area. This price reflects me paying to ship to NS in Mass. for a tune- up (you pay for the basic work, or if there's any issues beyond normal I'll pay for it) then you pay shipping from there, to you. Or, will drop the price to ship directly to you.
    IMG_1431.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020 at 9:27 PM
    Viggo51, armybass, 31HZ and 5 others like this.
  2. nbsipics

nbsipics Unstuck in Time Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Back in the day, Eberhard Weber's bass of choice! ( and I saw him play one ).

Bump for a great instrument. GLWTS

EDIT: I swear in his EARLY days I saw him with a NS upright. Correct me if I am wrong. I realize that not long after ( later 80's ) he was playing a rare/only 5-string with a high C. Regardless, these are fine instruments.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    D.A.R.K. likes this.
  3. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Not sure what he used early on, perhaps it was a Carruthers? Not many made back in the day, Framus also made one.

EDIT: from TB search:
    Eberhard´s first EUB was a vastly modified Grazioso Arco resonet, made in Czechoslovakia ca 1960, an "almost look-alike" of the old Framus Triumph EUB. Then he played a bass custom made by German luthier Paul Lijsen. His current EUB is made by Israeli luthier Eyal Vodnizky. It has a semi-hollow body, and is fitted with Wilson pickups. All of Eberhard´s EUBs have a high C string.

This NS design was put into production in the early 2000's, I believe. It really is the best of the lot available, for my purposes. It works rather well with effects, while still having a great sound bowed.

nbsipics likes this.
  4. nbsipics

nbsipics Unstuck in Time Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I play mine through a couple of Berg NV115’s. Low B breaks glass :)

GLWTS

D.A.R.K. likes this.
  5. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Ok, did a cleanup, got most of the rosin off and cleaned/oiled the fingerboard (I do this twice a year, upon season change, early spring so right on time. No truss adjustment yet this year, though. Spring heat/humidity usually means a quarter turn loose). I keep the bass in the soft bag, even on the stand in the studio the bag fits nicely when not being played. Bag is by Under Cover, a premium bag. Interestingly, the back of the neck which was originally satin now looks gloss, but that's all from playing/ oils from the hand. Most noticeable in the pics are a couple dings on the treble side of the body, and on the right next to the neck on the body where I would plant my thumb along the fingerboard. You can see a bit of string pattern on the fingerboard, but no loss of surface, feels smooth. There are a couple spots on the neck where there were imperfections on the fingerboard originally, they show as ovals in the right light angle but are smooth to the touch/ have no effect on the sound or sustain. The back of the neck has some wear you can feel, but not see in pics. Most of this wear occurred while transporting in the bag. Tiny dings, etc. One thing to note, this being the original design, there is a switch for piezo polarity as opposed to a potentiometer. The three way switch in the middle position, feels slightly loose however works correctly. The bass functions fully, and plays absolutely great- however, after 17 years of playing and going overseas for tours, personally, I'd think it appropriate to have it shipped to NS in Massachusetts, get a tune up, and then shipped to the buyer. I'd be willing to pay for the shipping to NS, then have the buyer handle shipping from NS to them. I'm sure NS would be a better deal, on that end anyway. Or direct, for a lower price. Pics following...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020 at 9:29 PM
    31HZ likes this.
  6. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
  7. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
  8. D.A.R.K.