NS Design Electronic Problems!

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by macmrkt, Sep 30, 2005.

1. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I just got an NS EU 5 string. Great instrument. But out of the box there were a number of issues. First, I was losing the 'E' string - literally no output on that one string. Once I realized that the balance controls are swapped on the EU vs. the CR (oops!) and it wasn't a piezo glitch (couldn't really be anyway) but a magnetic pickup issue, I got courageous enough to take a look. So I popped the back and saw the modular connectors from the EMG pickups to be loose on the preamp board. Moving those into position fixed the cutting out 'E' string.

Next, I found that when I pivoted the bass on the NS Strap system, it was crackling and distorting. Same problem when touching my cable next to the input jack. Occasionally, I got distortion on all notes. Changing batteries didn't help. I changed cables, but no help either. Then I sprayed Caig's DeOxit D5 through the input jack socket on the bass (careful to do this with the back plate off so the excess spray can be caught by a rag) and plugged in the jack several times to clear it. Crackling and distortion fixed. Note: Has anyone noticed that Caig's ads and website are starting to read like a bottle of Dr. Bronners Castile soap?

One other suggestion...I changed the OEM cheap-o batteries for 9v Ultralife Lithium batteries. They are about $8 each and available from www.partsexpress.com. I don't know if it was my imagination, but I thought the higher notes sounded fuller and had less of that 'new string overbrightness'. Anyway these batteries are reported to last as much as 5x longer than an Alkaline, so I guess they're worth it.

Did I say it's a great bass! It is.
  2. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Be sure you religiously pull the cord out of the instrument after playing or one day you'll be wondering if you've blown a speaker (low battery), and the next you will have zero output.

One of the things I hate about my EU5.