1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS Design Omni Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigdoug1053, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Has anyone on TB played the NS Design Omni Bass? It used to be called a cello bass, but it is basically a 34" scale upright style bass. I would like to have access to string bass - or a good approximation - that is easier to play and portable (I have tendonitis, so I can't handle the physical demands of playing an acoustic upright). Unfortunately, nobody in Denver has one I can actually play, and at around $3K, I am hesitant to buy one without playing first.

Thanks!

2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Never tried an NS Omni Bass, but I have tried the KYDD which is also a compact solidbody electric upright that sells for about half of what an NS Omni does. That rocked.

Edit: guess it's been a while, the KYDD lists for closer to $2k now.

3. Thanks Hoover... any others?

4. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    I played it and liked it a lot. Has a real nice amplified upright/fretless bg sound. I liked the arco sound a lot too....very electric but pleasing. Ergonomically I found it very easy to play too. I've played upright a long time and I like the big NS upright ok but I felt MUCH more comfortable with the 34" scale for some reason. the quality of the build is topnotch on all the higher end NS instruments I've played. I owned an NS cello for awhile....never got onto the 5ths tuning though. If I were gigging more and didn't live on a sailboat I'd probably buy an Omni. Can't say if it would be all of this to you but since you're interested I'd highly recommend a look at one. I wouldn't buy a new one without trying it first though....too much money for a very specific and kinda oddball thing. Used where re-selling might get you most of your money back maybe......

5. i owned one and loved it. agree with all the comments above. i tuned mine like a bass with a high c tho. i only had the stand and not the crazy strap system.

6. Thanks Nic! I appreciate your impressions. Finding a used Omni would be a real grail search. I will probably have to try one when I visit NYC.:bassist:

7. cincibassman

cincibassman

Apr 9, 2006
    Cincinnati
    I have owned the NS omni bass for over 2 years. It was called the bass cello when I originally purchased it from Gollihur bass.

It is a great instrument for an old electric bass player like myself as the scale is the same. I have the 5 string version witha low B.

I use this with a jazz trio and a 16 piece big band. The instrument never fails to get positive comments on both it's look and the sound. Several positive comments have come from upright players on the approximation of an upright tone.

It is not the cheapest EUB that you can buy, but the quality is top notch and in the long run worth the extra money.

John

8. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    +1 to all the above. It's a great instrument & my go to for almost every gig I do. I get requests from leaders to bring it. Check over on the DB side of things here. There's a massive thread about all the NS basses.

9. Misterhelmet

Misterhelmet

Oct 22, 2010
    Hi guys, I'm a cello player...I was looking for an electric cello to play then I saw this one.
    One question for you, experts: Should I dare to buy this one to have a more complete experience or should I continue with a normal electric cello (CR Series)?
    Are distances for left hand so different than on the cello one also if I tune this in fifth (F-C-G-D-A)?
    If yes I would buy a CR (4-5 still don't know).
    Thank you so much...

10. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Keeping this thread alive with my own interest in the OMNI Bass. I'd like to buy a used one this first part of 2011, or if I can't find one used, the fall back is to buy a new one from Bob G. in April as a birthday present to myself :D.

I currently have an Ergo 4-string, but have never been able to get my smaller hands used to playing the 42" scale.

I just emailed Tony Moore with questions. That guy has owned some great gear! I currently gig his old EA Wizzy M-Line cab that I bought from him a couple years ago.

Any more comments from TB'ers who've owned or currently own the OMNI? Those who bought it new, did you get it from Bob G. or from another source?

And if anyone has an OMNI and would like to sell or trade it, I'd like to talk with you.

Michael Vee
    Knoxville, TN

11. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    Is there any more input on this model?

12. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I had the 'bass cello' model and loved it. Only reason I no longer have it is financial need at the time. I definitely plan on getting another one, strung E to C like the one I had previously. It's just a joy to play.

13. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    Encouraging to hear, thank you!

14. I haven't tried the omni bass/bass cello for the common reason that not many stores tend to stock them but i have tried the full scale ns uprights and liked them a lot. Having played fretless 34" electric bass and full scale upright there is a bit of trade off. With longer scale the fretboard is basically "stretched" making playing with good intonation a little easier. Shorter scales don't require as much reaching and are more reactive to vibrato. I really like the concept of the omnibass/basscello but i have little use for upright bass and if i was going to buy an NS instrument it would more likely be a ns stick or the less expensive cello.

15. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I am going to cross post a bit, there is a omni bass thread on the DB side too. Just got one of these CR5 , only arrived today. Stand no boomerang strap, TI flats B-G. No amp at the office so will have a better idea when I get home.

16. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Picked up the WAV4 around a month ago from Gollihur Music and must say I am really enjoying the sound and actually playing it. While I do have a little bit experience playing a 3/4 electric upright, this one being 34” scale really made it easy to jump right into it. Already a fretless player, no issues at all playing it.

As far as tone, it really has a nice approximation of a upright sound. Works great in the blues/swing band I am in.

860A68EE-8CBA-4944-B67B-944275BBC4C4.

Mark Gollihur likes this.
  17. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Playin some blues with the Omni Bass!

18. I have a NSX 5-string that I tune E-C. The passive piezo system in this bass is great. I use a K&K Pure Preamp as a buffer and I don't think you will hear much difference in tone between the NS bass and an acoustic upright with a piezo pickup. The difference in portability is what made the NS bass so attractive to me.

Rick B.