Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NS Design

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Baofu, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I'm looking at a NS Design CR Cello, and I know it's not a bass, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the CR (Czech Republic made) vs the US models, even if it's only with the double basses.

Mainly, is the only difference the physical location of construction or are there more substanial differences? Is it still a good buy?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's basically a chunk of wood, and all of the hardware is proprietary (probably shipped in from the US), so I don't think there would be *that* much variability in the quality of the instruments based on where they are made.

The big difference between the US DB and the Czech DB is the neck shape; the US model has a concave neck, while the Czech model has a more traditional shape. I don't think the neck shape varies for the cello, though.

3. There is also the issue of the US body being a composite wood/carbon fibre versus the CR having an all wood composition.