1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS Electric Upright Bass tripod stands

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by gsandorx, Dec 3, 2019.

1. gsandorx

gsandorx Supporting Member

May 13, 2018
    Hey folks, I'm looking to buy a tripod stand for my new NS NXTa EUB. From what I've read, there are a couple options: the standard NXT tripod, and the CR tripod. The latter is about 100$ USD more expensive.

I'm looking for some advise about these two tripods. Is it worth the CR model?
    Also, where are good places to buy one of these units? They are expensive as hell in regular retail stores! LOL

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    What are the differences between the two stands? I had a CR4M for a while and found the stand quite nice.

nbsipics likes this.
  3. gsandorx

May 13, 2018
    From what I've read, the legs in the CR stand are less "in your way". Also, this stand supports the standard "pin stand" (you know, the single-leg stand that come with acoustic cellos and upright basses).

4. The tripod stand that came with my WAV4 was hopeless - cheaply made, and flexed so much it was useless. I went through various adventures with home-made options, and wound up getting the endpin stand.
    The CR stand has a reputation for being stronger, but I've never used one myself.

I don't know how these prices compare to what you see in your retail stores, but I'm a happy long-term customer of this bunch: https://www.thomann.de/intl/double_...-first=0&filter=true&manufacturer[]=NS Design

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I had one of the original US series bass and used the same tripod as the CR. The only difference that I am aware of is my stand was chrome instead of black.

The stand was very sturdy and fairly easy to adjust. The only problem I had was it was hard to tighten the bolt that fastens the bass and stand together enough so the bass did not pivot on the stand when left unattended. I believe over time, the little friction disc on the mount hardened and just did not create enough friction with the bass's body to really lock it in place. The bass was a bit top heavy, and I double on electric and acoustic upright. Sometimes when it was time to play the NSD bass, it would be almost upside down. More of an irritation than anything else, but potential for dinging up the instrument as well.

Perhaps the design has been improved by now as it has been close to 20 years since the bass was new.

I am not the only one who has reported this problem: Difference Between NS Design CR and new EU series

6. You're definitely not the only one to have that issue.
    My WAV4 just will not hold straight, so I applied a hacky solution involving a small block of wood, a plastic clamp screwed into the wood, and a nylon webbing cargo strap. Looks awful, but simple and reliable.

That was one reason I didn't upgrade to another NS EUB; the other was being limited to the shorter strings, because I just don't trust those tiny little screws to hold full-length strings.

Wasnex likes this.
  7. gsandorx

May 13, 2018
    Hopefully I won't have any of these issues with my new NS NXTa 4 string that's arriving tomorrow..

equill likes this.