1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NS neck question

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by john m, Jan 6, 2012.

1. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Do all NS EUB's have a "channel" in the back of the neck?

Thanks

John

2. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mine doesn't. I've only ever played one other and it didn't either. I guess that makes the answer "no".

3. jkumnick

jkumnick Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Southern Maine
    The original American made 5 string has it and they still make one model that does. I think the ones that have it are the ones that have the alternating layers of maple and composite material instead of a solid wood body/neck.

4. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I'm looking into buying a used one ---NS CR5M--- and I played one once with that "thumb channel"--- hated it.

I played one a long time ago, and I remember it having a "normal neck"-- much more DB feeling.

5. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    The CR5M (like my CR4M) has a "normal" neck without the thumb channel. It's the (more expensive) EU series that has the "concentric neck".

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    My WAV doesn't.

7. docalex

docalex

Aug 15, 2009
    NYC
    Being sort of new to all of this, i'm not sure what a thumb channel is, or feels like, or why one would want to 'channel' one's thumb (isn't the thumb the 'brain' of the hand? then set it free, say i!) :)

More seriously, what is/was the idea behind this neck channel; how was it supposed to help the player? Does anyone possibly have an image of a NS neck channel they could share?

I am sure, however, that my 2011 NS NXT4 does not have this feature. jkumnick (above) has it right, I think.

Question, to jkumnick: which current NS upright model has the thumb channel feature?

Question to GrowlerBox: i thought i'd read up on NS EUB's, but apparently not in enough depth. I am not familiar with the term 'concentric neck.' What does that mean?

The NXT4 is the only EUB I've ever handled. I find it beautiful and interesting. So simple - by all appearances it entirely consists of a one piece solid hunk of carved maple, with a curved ebony fingerboard applied to it.

..alex...
    (Thank you all for TalkBass - a most excellent forum.)

8. jon5252

jon5252 Gold Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Boise Idaho
    If you get on the NS Design website they have a picture of the neck channel on their EU series bass. According to their material it is the only model with that feature.

9. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    It's what you're calling a "thumb channel", and it's found only in the EU-series.

10. docalex

docalex

Aug 15, 2009
    NYC
    ahh. thank you jon and Growler, for the complete answers. got it! :)

11. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    The thumb channel IS on the most expensive EU which used to be the USA Model and has the kinda hollowed out C shape that I believe is only offered on 5 and 6 stringers. That neck is also laminated with carbon fiber as well. I've never played one. I have a CR-4T.