NSD! DR Fat Beam and Dunlop Super Brights have landed.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Apr 1, 2018.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    After a rather lengthy and fruitless search for a round wound set that I could call my “favorite” I tried Fat Beams for the first time last eeek and I’m REALLY digging these strings. In that search the Dunlop Super Brights kept coming up as a string I’d like to checkout too. So after a few internet purchases my supply of Fat Beams and some Dunlop’s for taste testing have arrived at the Proving Ground this weekend. Gonna start putting these through their paces after my back surgery and recovery this month. Looking forward to some happy thumping in the days ahead.
    66CBA455-2998-4D27-8FBE-7C1F9D563745.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    IconBasser and eriky4003 like this.
  2. Nice! I look forward to hearing your thoughts! :) I have Dunlop Super Brights (Nickel) on my G&L L2000 and my Fender AVRI 62 Jazz to give them a try...again ;) I'm curious what you think. I really enjoyed the sound of the Fat Beams but not the feel for some reason. I have Hi-Beams on my USA Peavey Cirrus 4 right now and they sound great but do feel different to my hands. Hey don't forget to take it easy as well! You're recovering.
    Best wishes,
    Brent

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    eriky4003 and armybass like this.
  3. armybass

Jul 19, 2001

What were you not liking about the feel of the Fat Beams?

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. It's been awhile since I used them but I think it was a rough texture if I remember correctly. I really need to try them again.
    Brent

armybass and eriky4003 like this.
  5. Brent,
    I believe you should try the Fats again. I believe they are Hi-Beams wound slower at manufacturing so the feel should be the same.

BrentSimons and armybass like this.
  6. I'll give it another go I'm sure my friend. :) I have two sets of Hi-Beams on my coffee table right now so it will be a bit before I can though. Although I do some gift certificates? Hmmm...;)
    What I really liked about the Fat Beams was the sound! They sounded so close to Rotos it was unbelievable! They also stayed brighter than Rotos for much longer. I've been using Rotos since the late 80's and while I love the sound and feel, I cant replace them as often as I would like, ya know? :)
    So many options these days! Its a great time to be a bassist! :) Take care!
    Best wishes,
    Brent

7. Compression wound?

8. Brent,
    I can't say if Fats are compression wound. Maybe Slapinfunk would know.
    If you really love Rotos, I'd highly recommend the Marcus Miller Dunlop Super Brights. I'd say a very similar tone between those two. I find Fats are more refined sounding whereas MM DSBs have more of the Roto 'growl'.

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    On my Rick 4003, I preferred DR Fat Beams over the Dunlop SBs.

Didn't try the MM SBs

armybass, eriky4003 and BrentSimons like this.
  10. Good to know, thank you! :)

eriky4003 likes this.
  11. Also good to know. ;) The next bass on my list!

armybass likes this.
  12. Coolhandjjl,
    I haven't tried Fats on my Rick. I tried the MM DSBs on the Rick and brought me back to Roto Nirvana with extended string life. I then tried the regular DSBs, left them on for two months then went back the MM DSBs and haven't left. I was using MM DSBs for my 5string bass and liked it a lot but prefer the Fats for this bass (I have one 5 string set of MM DSBs that I plan to use up this summer/early fall).

BrentSimons and armybass like this.
  13. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I've tried Fat Beams before, and vaguely recall liking them, but you have me curious to try them again.

As to the "compression wound"... I believe that DR compresses the entire string after winding it. So it is compressed, but it's not the same sort of compression on, say, GHS Pressurewounds or Rotosound 55s.

eriky4003 and BrentSimons like this.
  14. I use Fat Beams, MMSBs and regular SBs and love them all. I find that the Dunlop have more bite and growl whereas the Fat Beams are more "P bass" with a clear and precise sound. Hence the Ray34 is stringed MMSBs and the Sabre Fat Beams. Anecdote : my Sabre arrived when my son was at home and he played it. He was really disappointed. When I put MMSBs on it (now they have Fat Beams) he said : it's not the same bass anymore, it's a different one. Strings can really change your bass I'll never buy Nickel anymore.
    When the strings age the difference between the Fat Beams and Dunlops attenuates. They age well and last longer than the nickels I used previously (at least 2x as long).

armybass and eriky4003 like this.
  15. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    UPDATE:

Ok I finally got around to putting one of these bad boys on a bass. I put the Dunlop SB on my G&L M2500 two days ago, tuned em up and stuck it in the gig bag. I pulled it out today and I’m totally in love with the feel and low tension of the SB’s. This is the feel I’ve always been after. The tone is a tad aggressive for me but I like it.

Next up I’ll be trying a set of Fat Beams on a G&L with MFD pickups. Maybe a set of Dunlop’s on my Classic Sabre or Stingray too?

BrentSimons, eriky4003 and pickles like this.
  16. I put Dunlop's on my Classic Sabre and MMSBs on my Ray34.

armybass likes this.
  17. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I love the DR prices as they have come down from a few years back. I tried a few sets of the Dunlop MM and although they were nice, the feel and sound of the DR fats and Hi beams just seem to sound better on my basses. I had a 6 string Tobias Classic (early Gibson version) and that bass sounded unbelievable with the Fodera steels.. I put them on my MTD 5 and they were not good at all.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    armybass and BrentSimons like this.