NSD Fleamarket find!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The_Lucek, Sep 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

May 21, 2011
    Just this morning got 2 EVM 12S speakers for around 65$. I thought of them as guitar speakers but upon entering the data into BassBoxPro I found that they can take about 120w before reaching xmax and they should be good to 120dB with an F3 at the high 60s, more like low 70s. They won't be for gigs.
    I thought of making a guitar cab at first, with a homebrew hiwatt on the top.
    Should I build the cab focused on bass? I was planing on getting a pair of Beyma 15p80Fe/N and still stand by my decision, but will these change my mind?
    EPRpzpC.jpg qGu3rgo.jpg Skqyr8c.jpg Qg2OKTv.jpg

REMBO, Spidey2112, saabfender and 2 others like this.
  2. I believe the figures you posted are the open air specs.
    How they behave in a cabinet can vary greatly.
    If you haven’t already modeled these in some cab software using all of the necessary T/S parameters, then you may want to start there to see how they will play for bass once you put them in a box.

Spidey2112 and RSBBass like this.
  3. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Great find. EV used the S version in many monitors. Excellent midrange quality.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The S is the shallower cone version, great guitar and PA driver.

They will work for bass but it would be very far from my first choice. If you are looking for a bright, mid forward tone for a 4 string, thats pretty much what you will get. The L version isn't quite so bright, but still has the mid forward character.

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Doesn't the " OEM Type " written on the magnet mean it was designed for a specific cab ?

6. Probably that it was designed to a manufacturers specifications. Could have been done with certain cab design in mind. Most likely though, finding the exact T/S parameters for an OEM design could be difficult.

I think he will do well to follow agedhorse’s comments on this and be ready to do some R&D.

Kirk Bryant and jnewmark like this.
  7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Generally the OEM version were stock but without the decorative magnet cover and possibly without the EV logo on the dustcap (or a different rotation of the logo).

There were some customized drivers made, but not common at all.

8. Does that make it more difficult to ID the speaker for purposes of getting the T/S numbers? Or is it pretty easy to extrapolate an equivalent off the shelf speaker by looking at the OEM?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I have some database materials that help identify drivers that aren't stock, but that's as far as I can get, no TS parameters.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  10. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

May 21, 2011
    What do you mean open air? I poped the T/S par. into bass box, let the software calculate what I didn't have, and added 120l cab tuned to 70Hz.

Thanks! Really looking forward to trying them out in a guitar cab.

Well, it isn't like I could chose between the S and L version. :D Ether way, thanks!

From what I reckon, if it says it's a 12S, I'm gonna treat treat at as such. Until I can measure the parameters, as the procedure described in the "Loudspeaker design cookbook".
    Until then, I have until next spring to figure what I want! Enough time, I imagine.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  11. Specs for speakers are usually given without being in any kind of enclosure.
    Hopefully this is also done in an anechoic chamber so that room acoustics don’t color the results.
    Perhaps I should have said “free space” rather than open air?

I assume you’ve seen this or something similar.
    Understanding Loudspeaker Data | Eminence Speaker
    FS is the Free Space resonant frequency.
    Sorry for the confusion.

12. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    They aren't bad in 2 cu ft each tuned to 50 Hz, but the 3012 HO in the same cab has about 6dB more maximum output, so it will take both EVMs in twice the total cab volume to equal the 3012 HO. I'd see what the traffic will bear selling them. $100-$150 seems to be the going price.

13. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

May 21, 2011
    No way am I selling them. And I'm more into sensitivity than max output, since I will be using them with the V4B. So power is limited. Ether way, thanks for the suggestion!

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Don't be so sure their sensitivity (EVM-12S) is all that much better than some of the newer offerings. I'm thinking of the Eminence DeltaLite 2512, BassLite 2012, even the KappaLite 3012HO. The Faital 12PR300 will all have better sensitivity below 100Hz in a suitable enclosure.

15. Re: OEM stamped EV speakers
    I used to build and sell PA systems and I was setup with EV to buy the OEM components. I bought in quantities and had to agree to ONLY sell them inside cabinets - could not sell raw speakers because that would be unfairly competing with retail stores who were paying a higher wholesale price for the speakers than I was. With EV (at least in the quantities I was buying) I was not specifying any custom parameters but could choose from any standard model they made. The speakers were identical to retail except for the decorative magnet covers. I could get any of the EVM, Proline, Force etc. -- any driver they made I could get without the cosmetic cover and for much less than normal wholesale.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  16. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Beautiful score. I would use them for guitar, not bass.

17. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Definitely a great price regardless. But I wouldnt try to use them for bass other than just a test to satisfy you're own curiosity if you happen to have a reasonable 2x12 cab lying around. Otherwise pop them in an open back 2x12 or TL box (or pair of boxes) and use them happily for guitar. The pair will likely handle whatever a 100w tube amp could put out (with standard tuned guitar) as long as you don't crank the bass too much. Guitar through the V4 would probably be great through these. Bass is going to be really bass shy, although in a TL box you could maybe get away with a midsy 70s P bass sort of sound.

If you're determined to get their character on some full range bass tones, you should definitely expect to run them biamped with something more bass oriented (like a 15 or 18). If those are dropping off around 7, you may be able to get away with a pair of LF focused 12s in a ported sub box. Actually, a vertical 2x2x12 stack could be pretty cool. But that definitely wouldn't be "simple" and would probably take significant design tweaks and dialing in to reach the full potential of a system like that and make it worth it.

18. lpbfender

lpbfender Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    Good to hear, I have four EVM 12L's that I bought new in 1980 an spout in pa cabs that have been sitting. Suggested high pass filter hz?

19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Depends on your cabinet's F3 and F10, along with how hard you are pushing it. I like to see a 4th order BW HPF somewhere around the -3dB to -6dB of the cabinet, to suit your taste as well. No lower than the F3 however.

20. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

May 21, 2011
    Thanks for the sugestions! I'll listen to the masses and use then for guitar. Guess the Beymas are still on!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 6, 2021