NSD!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DrThumpenstein, Nov 15, 2020.

1. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    I just wasn't feeling the love for the Fender 9050 flats I put on my Aerodyne about 3 months ago. I gave them the @JimmyM Eucerin treatment to give them a head start, and have been playing most every day. It took about two months for them to break in. The G & D strings were just fine, but the A and E were just getting a little too dark for fingerstyle. They were fine with a pick, but I play a lot more fingerstyle and they went from nice and warm to dark and a little muffled, at least to my ears. For the past couple of weeks, I was having a hard time EQing around them so I decided to make a change.

I put on an old set of Chromes and WOW! I realized that I had forgotten just how much I love broken-in Chromes! There was warmth and growl that the 3 month old Fenders had already lost. They feel so good in my hands and sound great, just a pleasure to play!

Unfortunately, they had been on and off a few bases over the years and this time, the G string failed. I put the Fender G back on, and they were playable, but the Fender strings are also stiffer than the Chromes, and I like them a little less stiff. I've got La Bella's on my Lakland J , which I had considered switching back to the Aerodyne, but ironically, I was concerned about the G string on that set, because it looks like it is on its last axe. Besides, they sound so good on that bass!

Fortunately, my favorite little local independent music store had one set of Chromes in the light gauge (45-65-80-100) that I prefer, so after a nice, overnight Eucerin spa treatment, on they went. They sound great, definitely not too bright at this point, and I know how nicely they will play when they are fully broken in. The Eucerin did it's trick, I can already slide without any trouble on all the strings and they aren't the least bit zingy. I am really happy I swapped.

I think Chromes are probably the best bargain of any of the things I spend bass money buying. For the impact they have on tone, bang for the buck is exceptional. I've paid a lot more for strings, but it's hard to find strings that perform this well at any price!

mikewalker, JimmyM and trothwell like this.
  2. Very cool! The first set of flats I ever owned were Chromes. I haven’t played them in several years but they will always hold a special place in my heart.

Enjoy!

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  3. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Chromes are all I play!

4. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Well, they're on two of my three bases. I do really dig the way the Labella's sound on my J, and they are probably four years old so they're just getting to the prime of their lives.

alack likes this.
  5. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I could never get comfortable with the Labella’s. They definitely produce that 60’s thump. To my ears the Chromes get you more towards that 70’s P tone. I want that David Hungate type of tone with the smooth feel of flats. I think Chromes get me in the ballpark.

6. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    I have the light gauge Deep Talking Bass set and I have been very pleased with the way they retain their highs once broken in, and how they play. I think a lot of the sixties thump comes from the P pick up. The J kinda tames the thump and I get a nice growl from both those and the Chromes on that bass. The J's a Lakland, by the way. You a Lakie guy? I think that's what David Hungate plays.

7. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I’m a P bass guy. I have a 74, 75 (avatar pic) and the Squier. I also have a pair of J basses just in case.