Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by JGGBassPlya, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Any word on this weekends audition? I know a few of the guys who passed last time did not this time? Any clue anyone?
  2. still nothing? im curious to see how this one went, too.
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

I assumed there might be an audition there this weekend because I got a call from a buyer to come up and look at my Dodd and Martini 'after' his weekend in DC. Today, it struck me he may be there auditioning. I will ask him tomorrow about any results if they are known.
  4. GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    Apparently Paul Denola won it! He recently won the Portland Symphony job after getting his master's at USC.
  5. always_right

Mar 20, 2006
    Umm.. Actually he never did a recital... No degree!
  6. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I will see my customer shortly this morning. He made it to the second round or so (top 11) but that was it for him.

Can you imagine the level at which one has to be to get one of these jobs? I love it when great players come to try Basses here. I always squeeze in a free lesson when I ask, "if I was your student and this was my first lesson with you after you have just seen me play, what would you have me work on first?

I always get a tip or two of what to work on. Rarely do I get a conflicting suggestion about playing styles or technique.
  7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Both my visitors applied for the Audition but for some reason, only one was invited. 200 Bassists applied, 100 were turned down and 100 were invited. My visitor made it to the second round, top 11 players.

This seem to be one of the most demanding jobs in music, a symphony Bassist. I respect them all. I don't know who won the NSO Job this weekend.
  8. Ok, I hate to spread a rumor in light of what's been going on with this forum, but I think it's relevant enough to what you said...

When I was auditioning at Boston University, I had lunch with one of my sister's old high school friends that plays french horn. The hornist brought along a friend of her's that studies bass at BU.

This bassist currently studies with Ed Barker, and studied with Hal Robinson when she was in high school. For this National Symphony audition, she sent an application and was denied. She asked them why she couldn't come and was told, among other things, that people who had studied with Hal Robinson, Ed Barker, and Paul Ellison were automatically invited. She, of course, had neglected to mention on her application who her teachers were.

I suppose the credentials they're looking for are pretty strict.
  9. B. Johnson

B. Johnson

Apr 28, 2005
    Paul DeNola of the Oregon Symphony won. He didn't study with any of those guys, so I guess it didn't matter that much when push came to shove.
  10. I would imagine that experience in a professional symphony is also a reasonable qualifier, although now I'm delving into the realm of pure speculation.
  11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

Both of the people visiting me had Studied with Hal but at different Colleges I think. Also, one of them has worked in a B or C Orchestra already and the other has not. I think a combination of Teacher, School and Experience is what might determine the invitation. This is just a guess but I don't know for sure what they base this on.
  12. G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Hey paul I don't think it's rumour if it a fact. I mean i wouldn't get too bent out of shape about a fact like that.
    It sounded pretty reasonable. Life and auditions are never 100% fair to everyone. Even the US Army turns peolpe away ....
  13. So I know 3 of the final four that made the cut

Matt Medlock Studeied at BU with Barker and Rice w/Tim Pitts
    Bert Witzel Curtis with Hal
    Paul (who won the audition) IU/Bransby USC/Dave Moore

so to me it looks like NSO is really going for clean articulate playing. Bert is a great player but it really shows that 2 out of the final 4 are really clean players. But anyways does anyone know the last of the 4?
  14. InwoodFerri

Mar 12, 2006
    I was very impressed with NSO, in the fact that they've already given comments to auditioners who left their contact info.
  15. I heard Travis Gore was another finalist.
  16. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Way to go Paul!!! He was a serious inspiration while doing my undergrad at USC and he deserves all the best. I'm sure Portland is sorry that they are losing him.
  17. Beebo!

Mar 31, 2006
    I went to school with Paul. no masters yet? HA! good luck getting anywhere in life!!!!!!!
  18. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Whenever I read "beebo", I keep recalling that children's exercise show on PBS.

Hmm or maybe that's "Boobah!" I can't remember
  19. Whenever I read "Beebo," I keep recalling this crazy asian guy from Aspen.
  20. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    maybe it's the altitude

or lack thereof on my end