Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NTBT or OBP-3??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JehuJava, Dec 28, 2002.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'm planning on replacing my Warwick's MEC pick ups with Bartolinis. I would like to put in active electronics. What are your oppinions on either the NTBT or the OBP-3 pre-amps?

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    OBP-3 is a great preamp. It has a switchable mid control, so you may have to add a switch to your bass. Also it really likes 2 9V batteries, which your bass might need routing to fit. NTBT is a pretty reliable 9V system and works fine, I'm just partial to the Aguilars.

3. Smac61

Smac61

Nov 24, 2002
    I think the NTBT would compare better with the OBP-2, both being 2 band. The NTMB would be more similar to the OBP-3.

That being said, I went with the Bart NTBT because I wanted to add Bart pickups and it was easier ordering everything from one source :)

I very happy with the results.

4. Smac61

Smac61

Nov 24, 2002
    My bad...
    No such thing as OBP-2
    NTBT compare better to an OBP-1

5. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I was just reading the Aguilar brochure and they were saying the OBP-1 compares to the DB-924 (the stomp box sized pre-amp). I use the 924 now and love it's sound. I would love to have the same tonal characteristics onboard...I try not to trip over or knock the 924 over while playing live.

I have no experience with the NTBT other than a bass in the store...not my own bass or any other venue.

Wouldn't you just love to be able A/B test the two out with your own rig in the field?

Al

6. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've got a bass with each, and I prefer the Aguilar. Although its boost only, I find that the Aguilar adds a thickness to the sound without compromising crispness or clarity. In my opinion/experience, boosting the bass on the ntbt can sound a bit mushy and seems to sounds muffled in the mid-range. Of course, as is often said, others mileage will vary.

Lates,
    Dave