1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NTBT or OBP-3??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JehuJava, Dec 28, 2002.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'm planning on replacing my Warwick's MEC pick ups with Bartolinis. I would like to put in active electronics. What are your oppinions on either the NTBT or the OBP-3 pre-amps?

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    OBP-3 is a great preamp. It has a switchable mid control, so you may have to add a switch to your bass. Also it really likes 2 9V batteries, which your bass might need routing to fit. NTBT is a pretty reliable 9V system and works fine, I'm just partial to the Aguilars.

3. Smac61

Smac61

Nov 24, 2002
    I think the NTBT would compare better with the OBP-2, both being 2 band. The NTMB would be more similar to the OBP-3.

That being said, I went with the Bart NTBT because I wanted to add Bart pickups and it was easier ordering everything from one source :)

I very happy with the results.

4. Smac61

Smac61

Nov 24, 2002
    My bad...
    No such thing as OBP-2
    NTBT compare better to an OBP-1

5. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I was just reading the Aguilar brochure and they were saying the OBP-1 compares to the DB-924 (the stomp box sized pre-amp). I use the 924 now and love it's sound. I would love to have the same tonal characteristics onboard...I try not to trip over or knock the 924 over while playing live.

I have no experience with the NTBT other than a bass in the store...not my own bass or any other venue.

Wouldn't you just love to be able A/B test the two out with your own rig in the field?

Al

6. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've got a bass with each, and I prefer the Aguilar. Although its boost only, I find that the Aguilar adds a thickness to the sound without compromising crispness or clarity. In my opinion/experience, boosting the bass on the ntbt can sound a bit mushy and seems to sounds muffled in the mid-range. Of course, as is often said, others mileage will vary.

Lates,
    Dave