1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NTD - New (very old) bandsaw

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by reverendrally, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Well, I'm finally caught up to the 20th century... or should that be the AD20?

IMAG0686.

Picked up this ancient bandsaw off my luthier mate as he's upgraded. His complaint was it was too slow and the blade was dull. It was too slow that's for sure. Seems like it was setup to be a meat bandsaw, the extra reduction pulley you can see on the floor to the left used to be in it. However, move the motor up and 86'ing the reduction pulley was a bolt up thing so that was nice. I also put castors on it and gave it a new power switch as the old one was on the wrong side (I broke it getting it out of the car) and it was older than my dead grandparents and made of bake-a-lite.

Anyhow, after stuffing round for a few days with it, the top wheel and various shims it works like a treat now. Seems the blade wasn't that dull after all. So for just $150, I have "King Tutt" the ancient bandsaw . Let's hope he makes the cut! :lol:

2. Wonderful! Great to see you've breathed new life into it :smug:

3. Awesome! A bandsaw is a must!

4. I don't know about a must, but it does help a lot. I've got pretty close with a jigsaw and a lot of care, but the bandsaw is a lot more accurate.

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have ruined a bunch of stuff with a jig saw :D

At least for me a band saw is a must have piece of equipment.

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Great that you have added a handy tool to your shop, congrats

7. I'm looking forward to ruining a whole bunch of stuff with this bandsaw.... :rolleyes: not