NTMB upgrade on Lakland 5501

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wrigley, May 31, 2002.

1. Wrigley

May 26, 2002
    Hi all. Just wondering if someone could shed some light on this available upgrade to the Lakland Skyline 55-01?
    I know that the 55-01 p'ups and pre are different than that of the 55-02 (which has the same config as the 55-94 from what I hear). Not sure what "NTMB" means (or stands for), and I really couldn't find an explanation searching previous posts. Thanks for the info.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    NTMB is "Bartolini-speak" for their 3-band EQ :D. It is the same electronics package that Lakland installs in the 55-02 and the USA Laklands. I've had ample opportunity to compare the -01's with both pre's, and there is no doubt that the NTMB upgrade is a much better sounding pre to me, but others may not agree (Nino??).
  3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i will be receiving a 55-01 with the ntmb - i have so far only heard the 55-01 with the standard pre- i am curious to hear the upgraded pre- it should be here tomorrow-
    ntmb - not sure what then is but tmb is for treble mid bass- peace!-
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I sent my 55-01 back to lakland to have the NTMB preamp installed in mine... the difference was devastating! It really smooths everything out, and sounds amazing... This is really my first adventure into the onboard preamp realm, but I am impressed enough with it that I am going to get the same preamp put into my Ibanez BTB.... I think it is more than worth the price of the upgrade.

5. I just got my 55-01 a few days ago and I plan on upgrading the preamp in the futuree. I talked to Dan at Lakland (I think it was Dan Lakin) and he said it made it much smoother and added a little clarity. I love this bass and it's natural,deep,thick sound,but I will probably try the upgrade. I can hear where it might be improved.
    When i asked Dan about replacing the pickups,he said he loves the ones in the 55-01 and that they sound as good as any he uses. That was great to hear. I can't say enough good things about these basses. I haven't bought a Korean-made bass in years and never thought I would again. I'm truly in love with it.
  6. Wrigley

May 26, 2002

Hey man, I think I talked to you on the phone the other day at BC. I ordered the Lakland Skyline and the Nemesis combo from Grasshopper, and you helped me change my order a bit.
    I figured I'd ask about the NTMB thing here first before I called and bugged you guys again. :p
    Oh well. Now I'm like frothing at the mouth to get that Lakland and 4x10 combo. Just think, my Peavey bass and Fender Kicker combo are almost ready to be put out to pasture. Do you think they know the end is near? ;)

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ryan -

Yeah, that was me man! No worries if you want to talk about the possibility of upgrading the preamp, call anytime!
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of Bartolini's. I'm also not a huge fan of the J/MM cinfiguration.

I played a 55-01 compared to a 55-02 & a 55-94 at a store in NJ (NJ Guitar & Bass Center?) & I personally like the sound of the 55-01 much better. This is one on 3 basses that I've played w/bartolini's that I've liked. The other 2 were the Pedulla J2 5 string & a few custom basses by this one guy (I can't remember his name) & they had passive J's.

I'm sure that the NTMB would be a great upgrade to my 55-01, but I'm very happy with how it sounds right now. :)
  9. John Clark

John Clark

May 11, 2006
    I currently only perform with Lakland 55-01's. One has the NTMB preamp and the other MK-1. I find the NTMB fills the lower end better but the mids are too closely matched to the guitar player next to me. They wind up sounding lower in volume. When I use the MK-1 version everything cuts through much better, including when I do modern stuff at low C or B. If you get the NTMB preamp I think it is suitable for a blues band or a 3 piece band. Otherwise, stick with the MK-1.:bassist:
  10. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The NTMB is a great upgrade, but you do realize that all the rest of these questions and responses are almost 4 years old, right?

11. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    He must've used the search function...

Something interesting to add tho, is my teacher has a 55-01 which he swapped out the MK-1 & added an Agg OBP-3 instead of the Bart NTMB. He also runs flats on it.

I've been waffling on the NTMB swap on MY 55-01 for a couple of YEARS now, & simply haven't done it. As such, this gives me a bi-weekly chance to a/b the difference.

Needless to say, the two instruments have significantly different sounds. What I've concluded is restated in this thread. NTMB = smoother, MK1 = more aggressive. For me, right now,,, I prefer the aggressive tone of the MK1.