1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nu Bass Day: Trace Elliot (by Status) T-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wallace320, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Hi everybody,
    not my only recent acquisition, but the one I can
    expose pics of (my profile doesn't allow me to post i-phone heavydetailed photographs)

Here it is

It reminds me of my former Vintage White MIM Fender Mike Dirnt Precision (old P style with '59 split coil pickup and Leo Quann's BadAssII bridge) but it's way way better and radder!;)

Trace Elliot T-Bass Status.

Trace Elliot T-Bass Staus control plate.

It sports a 24 fret rosewood fingerboard on a three laminate maple neck, a Custom "HyperActive" Ceramic split coil and a himass bridge with Piezoelectric pickup

A 9v battery serves its active tone control while control plate displays dual output. "Mag" is for magnetic pickup lettin' Volume and Tone controls only to work for it; "Piezo/Blend" is for both pickups, engagin' the Balance control too

Cheers,
    Wallace

2. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Just to testify trademark T-Bass (by Status) angled headstock
    Trace Elliot T-Bass Status back of headstock.

Trace Elliot T-Bass Status headstock.

Unfortunately no Hipshot GB7 bass extender;) Impossible to mount one over here:rollno:

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Very nice. I've seen the Jazz bass model, but I never knew this one existed.

4. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Very cool! I remember the jazz type basses they made, but never a precision type!!

Yeah what he said!! :p

5. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    That is cool!

6. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    Wow!

7. Are you sure that`s a real T bass? Status made them with a super Jazz style body not a P bass style body like that. One of the main features of the T bass was the usually hidden middle single coil. I think you have a genuine Status T bass neck with an after market body fitted. I`m not running the bass down by the way, I just doubt whether it is a genuine Status body.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Wow that is cool never heard of them congrats.

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I've been wondering this, too. And I think you're right. When I saw this bass, I went looking for other examples, and found nothing. Not a photo, not a word.

Still a nice bass, though.

10. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Pretty sweet, never seen one,

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Cool bass. Congrats.

12. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    what's the two outputs for? stereo outputs like a ric? I can't read what the jack plate says.

13. Pretty cool but I'm wondering if it's not a real T-Bass neck with a different body. I've never seen or heard of Status building a model like that for Trace Elliot. I own a '98 T-Bass LE which is a Jazz style like all of them were, to my knowledge anyway. As an FYI on the hidden "dummy" coil, the model I have is the only one without it afaik. This model also has different pickups, ceramic magnet I think but I'd have to read the specs to be sure, that were meant to sound vintage.

To be sure about your bass' lineage you might want to go to http://www.statii.com/ THE place to go for details about Status basses, sign up and post a pic in the forum. Rob Green from Status Graphite does participate so I'm sure you can find out if it's a one of a kind product or what have you.

14. Ask how many were made of that model, if it turn out to be a legit Status. You just may have a "one-off" NAMM bass, or prototype. Who knows?

15. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Electronics is supported by a MusicMan like 9v battery cavity
    It works like this:
    Even if active only (no on/off switch) whenever you plug the "mag" input you use the magnetic pickup only, which is the socalled "Hyperactive" Trace Elliot trademark pickup (splitcoil in this case)
    Whenever you plug the "piezo/blend" input you capture himass bridge piezo pickup, together with the Hyperactive split, so you can use "balance" control

Cheers,
    Wallace

16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Very possible. It's not like there are now, or ever were, a great number of Status T-bass necks floating around out there.

17. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    But I really think it's a, even if rad for sure, regular T-Bass.
    Why?
    Split pickup tells "Hyperactive" in red, just like each of the dual pickups on Jazz like, monorail bridged models...
    Furthermore I found the ubiquitous talkbass thread of some 6/7 years ago debatin' the existence of an "old style" Precision like T-Bass model.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/trace-elliot-t-bass-thread-315608/

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. Wallace. I was intrigued by this T bass, so, i posted it on the Status bass forum and the man himself, Rob Green, replied with this below.

This is a "T-2" from the mid / late 90's. Only a handful were made.

Mono or stereo out with regular pickup + piezo.

Rob.

So it seems that I was wrong, you were right and you seem to have an extremley rare bass guitar!! Well done!!

19. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I tried to follow steps to subscribe to statii.com, I've received my administrator link to finally enter and confirm my subscription... nothin'... I ain't seem to be able to access it:)

Cheers,
    Wallace

Ps: "Land of the Haggis" means you're a Scot, isn't that right?

20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Awesome news!