NUAD: Got lucky at thrift store...$45 markbass 121 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nuhckes8, Sep 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. nuhckes8

nuhckes8

Aug 20, 2014
    I'm a poor man in a somewhat affluent area. People are always donating cool stuff to the local thrift store. If the people in charge of pricing know enough about the items they charge accordingly and when they don't you can find things like this. I'm a peavey fan boy so markbass products weren't on my GAS list.
    20160924_164704-1.jpg 20160924_164658-1.jpg 20160924_164710-1.jpg 20160924_165300.jpg 20160924_164809.jpg 20160924_165316-1.jpg
    Until now, if a deal on a 121 extension cab shows up I might buy it. It's the first generation little mark version with the black cone woofers. Does anybody know if mnarkvass made an extension cab during this period? What do people think about using the modern yellow cone cabs with these? Or another brand for that matter?

P.s. pics of the internals are on page 2 if anybody is interested.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. BlackCatBassman

BlackCatBassman

Aug 11, 2016
    You got a hell of a steal my man! I've actually never seen a first generation MarkBass anything so I'm glad you posted pics.

BTW, do they have any Cadillacs or BMWs for $25?

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

the only thing I ever see at our local thrift stores are acoustics with cracked bodies or action that is about half an inch off the board & no truss rod

Good score!

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I've never even played any of their gear.... Too turned off by their trademark look to risk liking it, haha. They do get quite a bit of love though... So great score! I as well can't recall ever seeing black cones on their stuff. I wonder if the sound changed, too, with the introduction of the yellow cones. How do you like it? This is a 112 combo, yes? What's its power? Heckofa deal.

jamro217 and nuhckes8 like this.
  5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I've never seen anything but the yellow cone stuff in person, and those are actually the first pictures I've ever seen of their first generation gear. I have no idea what that combo would typically go for on sites like Reverb, but at face value I'd say that's a once in lifetime kind of deal you got. Congratulations!

As for an extension cab I'd ask the Markbass guys what they recommend. Personally though, I think it would look a lot cooler if you could find a way to keep the entire set-up, including an extension cab, with that first generation look.

SirMjac28, jamro217 and nuhckes8 like this.
  6. nuhckes8

nuhckes8

Aug 20, 2014
    From what I could find, and there is very little info online, it's rated at 300 watts 8 ohm/450 watts at 4ohm compared to 350/500 for the newer ones. I typically use larger woofers, and i have to force this combo to get the heft that I normally get from my other combo. That's why I'm looking for a matching extension cab. Btw it is a single 12 with rear firing ports.

woodyng2 and jamro217 like this.
  7. nuhckes8

nuhckes8

Aug 20, 2014
    You're right, I should call up the factory. I hope they tell me it's the same woofer as in the new York 121 but with a standard black cone. It would be easier to match a cab by purchasing a used yellow woofer extension cab and then a yellow woofer from markbass. I looked for info on black cone cabs from this era with no luck.

jamro217 likes this.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

SOAB!!! Man, my area sucks when it comes to finding a gem for cheap! Geez! Just once I'd like to find an amazing deal!

Watch out for the moral majority to enter the thread and try to guilt trip you into donating more money for it! Don't listen to them!

9. nuhckes8

nuhckes8

Aug 20, 2014
    That thrift store isn't necessarily cheap, they were asking for $120 for a pair of cheap Nady monitor wedges and aren't afraid to ask for $80 for a northface hoody. This flew under their radar.

P.s. I had to look up soab, no offense taken. I kept telling myself that all the way home.

jamro217 likes this.
  10. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    There are all kinds of folks on the forum who have been loyal or associated with almost every brand out there, many for their entire playing careers. Hopefully one of the Markbass experts will chime in and give you the entire history on that combo and its design, including the name of the person who probably assembled it. :)

nuhckes8 and jamro217 like this.
  11. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    What a score! Good on ya!

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Wow, what a score! I'm pretty sure I got my first CMD-121p as soon as they were available in the U.S. (2007) and they already had the yellow cone. That must've been a Canadian import or something.

nuhckes8 likes this.
  13. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Nice! A little TLC and you have an absolute winner.

I'll say this much about MarkBass, my Nano head whips the crap out of my Ampeg PF350, and I love my PF350!

14. God of Thunder EQ Settings!

15. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    That thing might even have collectors value. Until now I didn't even know that "vintage" model even existed! [​IMG]

Also, since you're still a confirmed, unbiased Markbass non-fanboy let us know how you respond to the tone this little monster serves up. You will likely enjoy it more with a Markbass extension cab BTW. I'd suggest a used model of this one if you can find it. The 121H Traveller. MASSIVELY more impressive sounding than the smaller 121p extension cabs.

10190126_800.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Joebone, Al Kraft, woodyng2 and 2 others like this.
  16. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    It will likely make you sell that PV gear. Glad you mentioned being poor. Some would have you believe that your good luck would otherwise cause someone to go hungry.

nuhckes8 likes this.
  17. pasmithy

pasmithy

Jul 7, 2011
    SE PA
    See, that "tacky" yellow gear has it's advantages. To a person without knowledge of bass gear, it does look like it came from a toy store. :laugh:

Nice score there, I myself don't worry too much about looks. I'd pair that thing with whatever "deal" comes up next that will give ya a good sound. Good luck on the hunt! :bassist:

nuhckes8 likes this.
  18. You are so lucky. Nothing but musty smelling wool coats and pocketbooks at my local thrift. Maybe an occasional Montovanni or Neil Diamond on vinyl. Markbass $45? Phewww!

spankdaplank, Aqualung60 and nuhckes8 like this.
  19. nuhckes8

nuhckes8

Aug 20, 2014
    Thanks, there is some info on these right here on tb, I had the most luck searching LMI, it looks like our very own jimmym has one.

20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    nuhckes8 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021