NUAD: Got lucky at thrift store...$45 markbass 121 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nuhckes8, Sep 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

a MB combo amp did turn up in the local pawn shop & they wanted some crazy price for it, like $400

woodyng2 likes this.
  2. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Same with me. I gave up going to stores like that & pawn shops many years. Maybe one in every 10,000 pawn shops has a bass that's say worth $1000 that they are selling for $600. Other than that, it's always poopie, no name $90 basses that they want $90 for, etc. Never have seen a deal personally and I'm 45 yrs old now.

3. nuhckes8

nuhckes8

Aug 20, 2014
    I've seen modern fender bass combos (entry level) show up here for $100, that's because they've heard of fender.

4. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Not sure which combo it was,but the Cmd121p sells at list for $899,so $400 iwould actually be a great deal for a used one.
    I also recommend getting the traveller 1-12 over the New York. It has a really nice titanium horn as opposed to the NY cab's cheap tweeter,and is priced the same!
    My combo/traveller cab has been my rig for 4-5 years now. I love the orange speaker cones,but could not hang with the craptastic-plastic logos,so i removed them. IMG_0091.JPG

Killed_by_Death and nuhckes8 like this.
  5. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    That is a very cool old Markbass combo. I have to say,i've never seen one like it. I bet it predates any of the models the company imported to the states. Maybe this was purchased in Europe and found its way to the U.S?
    Edit-upon further inspection,i guess the fact that all the info on the amp is in English negates that theory.
    Also-interesting tone contol settings-yours or just the way it was when you bought it?

nuhckes8 likes this.
  6. nuhckes8

nuhckes8

Aug 20, 2014
    I jumbled up the settings before taking any pics. I'm not giving away any secrets.;)

woodyng2 likes this.
  7. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    FYI- there's a used New York 15 cab for sale right here right now on TB.
    That might give you the extra aural girth you seek...

nuhckes8 likes this.
  8. nuhckes8

nuhckes8

Aug 20, 2014
    In case anybody's wondering, because I was. I broke it's seal, carefully busted it's hymen if you will. Yes that is yellow carpet, I assumed paint, but it's yellow carpet.
    20160925_130934.jpg 20160925_130953.jpg 20160925_131313.jpg 20160925_131334.jpg 20160925_131227.jpg 20160925_131234.jpg 20160925_131253.jpg 14748312611101787683400.jpg

woodyng2 likes this.
  9. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Thanks for sharing. Great deal and it's interesting to see an early incarnation of the Little Mark. That might actually be worth more than a new one to somebody who is a MB superfan.

nuhckes8 likes this.
  10. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    does it work?

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

That is one helluva score. My first cabinet was an old Markbass 6x10 with the silver logo and black drivers. It was a killer cab. It was voiced differently than the current Markbass stuff I have played but I have never stumbled on another 6x10 so they might sound the same. My 6x10 was voiced more like an Ampeg 8x10 than your typical Markbass cab, it lacked the typical honk.

I eventually traded the cabinet into L&M. Initially, they thought my cabinet was counterfeit which gave me a chuckle. They also didn't think they would be able to offer me nearly what it was worth. I had gotten the cabinet used for cheap so they happily gave me what I wanted. I had a good laugh when they sold it the next for more than I was asking on Kijiji for the previous two months. They got about $800 for it.

nuhckes8 likes this.
  12. nuhckes8

nuhckes8

Aug 20, 2014
    Yes, the controls are very responsive, a good deal of head room. I think an extension cab is in order.

13. Killed_by_Death

I stopped at Goodwill today & the coolest thing they had was a cassette single of Let's Get Rocked by Def Leppard

s-l300.jpg
    I haven't owned a cassette player since 1991, so that item is still there at Goodwill

GreatScott91 and nuhckes8 like this.
  14. nuhckes8

nuhckes8

Aug 20, 2014
    Guess you couldn't find a deal on a boombox. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. Killed_by_Death

there was one right beside the shelf of cassettes & CDs, but I wasn't interested

95d5d2f62599f62a639898a5b491db22.jpg

it looked very similar to one I owned in 1986

GreatScott91 and nuhckes8 like this.
  16. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Cool amp, congrats. I guess I should start cruising the 2nd hand stores

nuhckes8 likes this.
  17. Yes it's a steal, I sold mine, the small cube version 450€ one year and a half ago.

Those amps are much heavier than newer generation which is 10 yo now, but wear for sure the excellent B&C 12HPL64 which is part of the Markbass sonic legend , it's been dropped now for a budget make.

nuhckes8 likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021