Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nubile bassists, take heed!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    When listening to your favorite bassists for inspiration, do yourself a huge favor: listen to the way the bass interacts with the drums. This is something that I never really paid much attention to as I was learning (and still don't, really), and now it's come back to bite me in the buttocks. My band is currently tracking bass, and I'm discovering that I have a tendency to attack the bass more like a rhythm guitar player, rather than locking in with the drum track. Not good.

When you're practicing, writing a new bass line, or soaking up Fieldy's bass lines, pay attention to the bass drum. Bass is the lynchpin between rhythm and melody - make sure you're solid on both. Don't just go flailing around hitting the strings whenever it pleases you - make every note count. You are part of the rhythm section, so try to make the transition from yourself and the drummer as seamless as possible. You are just as much part of the drums as the drums should be a part of you.

Take my advice, or don't. By all means, I encourage people to do their own thing, but it's helpful to know what makes a solid rhythm section before you go off into whatever tangent strikes you.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It should also be noted that when the drums and low tones lock in an interesting scientific phenomenon occurs in which a vibration is created that for some unknown reason causes the buttocks to oscillate in a rhythmic manner.

brad cook

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    What about those over thirty?

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's too late for you. Give up now.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I actually listen to the drummer more than anyone. The snare and the bass drum are what I go off of. The guitarists are just those annoying things I have to play in key with.

6. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Norm Stockton delivered pretty much the same idea at Bass Quake yesterday - althought in a much more rambling, not sure what I wanna say next kinda way.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe he was just speaking to people who are sexually mature and attractive....just like me.

brad cook

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Brad,
    Never met you, but I bet you're one ugly young woman.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yes, i was extremely disappointed with this thread.

:(

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I was playing around with the whole "noob" thing, which I refuse to use. ;)

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh, Ben...

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    +1

Bass guitar and bass drum should be as one.

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Got your attention, didn't it?

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Even before I played bass, I loved the sound of the kick drum making the attack on the bass note. I've strived for years to get that lock with the kick for the same sound (but never stooped to ducking with a compressor). It sounds especially cool when the kick is syncopated and the bass goes along for the ride. There's a lot of this in Sheryl Crow's stuff.

15. I am SO gonna use that word now.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh yeah, that's what makes a good bassline. A bassline that does it's own thing with no consideration to everything around it isn't a bassline.

Awesome example: Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight.

Laugh if you want, but when the bass comes in, you'll need to change ya diapers.

18. Whenever I key into new music, I'm always (primally I suppose) drawn into the drums first. I soak in the nuance, and then absorb the song around it.

Not huge on hip hop per se, but I dig repetitive rythms too, but I like it mixxed up.

I love a good Charlie Watts drumline, but dig a Jimmy Chamberlain more. You dig?

I always write basslines with the drums in mind...I have such good interplay with my drummer that when I jam elsewhere, I admit to feeling a tad lost. My reliance on the kick is that strong...

So yeah. Great post man. Very important stuff to consider. There are moments where you can fly as long as you remember where your "anchor" is.