Nuclear Power Plant Proximity?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fetch Da bass, Sep 10, 2002.

1. How close do you live/work to a Nuclear Power Plant? I live about 25 miles S,SE from San Onofre NPP. Since 9/11/01 it has been a concern...When we bought this old house it had a bomb shelter out back, but we filled it in 2 years ago...When and if the bombs start flying, I'm headed to Southern Mexico or Costa Rica. What will you do?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I live within 30 miles of Millstone nuclear plant, a Dow Chemical, and Electric Boat-the company that builds the nation's nuclear submarines like the Seawolf (I think it's called that anyway), and a big navy base right next to it. I don't have to worry if a bomb goes off near me; I'll be fried little Bryan-bits before I can say "Uh-oh."

"this is a test of the emergency broadcast system. if this were an actual emergency, your radio would be melting in your hands as we speak..."
  3. I grew up 10 miles from the Dresden and 15 miles from the Braidwood nuclear power plants in Grundy County, IL; and <5 miles from a Mobil refinery and Dow, BASF, and Quantum plants.

Nobody really worried much then, and I doubt they do now.
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I work about a block away from the U.S. Capital. Should I be worried?

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I live within 30 miles of a nuclear plant. I think that is the distance. Might be more, might be less...
  6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My grandma lives like 5 miles away from the plant in Solomon's Island, Maryland. I forgot what it's called at the moment, but she is close. And is she wrried? nah... There are also some HUGE guns around said power plant. Any planes come too close, and they will be blown to bits. There is also a large Navy base right next to it too. Even more protection.

If we stop thinking of these things as targets, and think of them as places of protection (which they are) there isn't anything to worry about.
  7. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    about 30 miles from the power plant but I live about 10 (and my parents about 5 ) from Raytheon Defense Systems :( :eek: :p