1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nucleus... British Jazz fusion - 2 live videos

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Hey all

I was very fortunate to live next door to great British trumper Ian Carr for three years here in London, before he went into a retirement home as he has dementia - we are still friends and I saw him recently and he is well(ish) - but I just wanted to share a couple of videos I shot of his amazing band Nucleus. They have been around since the 1970s in different guises and were probably the first Brit electro jazz band - they actually existed before Miles did Bitches Brew - Ian also wrote the definitive Miles Davis Biography - so there is a link to Miles who he knew very well.

Anyway Nucleus truly kicked ass then and now - they have quite a few albums that have been reissued as two for one - but Ian always used great bassists - Joe Hubbard was in the band in 1980s - and the last one Rob Statham is a brilliant fretless player who's incredibly underated but I've had lessons with the guy and he's a monster. All the tracks are pretty heavy on the bass - with some great lines - plus Ian's writing is just brilliant.

I thought some of you would dig these - this is how good fusion should sound - this is the Nucleus Revisited Band - all orginal members but with Chris Batchelor on trumpet - Ian was in the audience loving this gig - it was brilliant.

Hope you dig:

Midnight Oil

Cheers

Mike

2. I enjoyed this very much. Thanks for posting the great videos. And I agree with you, this is how good fusion should sound.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That was alright. I love fusion, more than anything else, but I like things a bit more electric than that!

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Great vids, Mike, thanks. I remember that brilliant number "Splat" from way, way back in the late 70's/early 80's, awesome stuff.

5. Lo.

Lo.

Jan 29, 2005
    NW UK
    This is great. Thanks!

...now listening to one of my old favourites: Sun Child (1970) - superb pickwork!!

6. Yeah but Chris - that's the problem with a lot of fusion - it gets too electric - Nucleus bridged the gap between what Miles was doing with The Birth Of Cool and Bitches Brew - if you hear this band live they are amazing - so much Nucleus stuff is really funky too, you should also hear their fast 7/4 blues called Mr Jelly Lord - that is killing! The melodies are so strong and the arrangements are just wicked. And believe me the the guitarist absolutely kicks butt as well as the bass player Rob - my overall point is that Nucleus were actually tasteful - so much fusion isn't! No disrespect to you sir - I love some tacky fusion myself - but you just need to hear them live - they really are one of the all time great British jazz fusion bands.

Glad you guys are digging this though - you have good taste!

Mike

7. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Awesome videos. Ive been a big fusion fan ever since I started listening to it. This is a great mixture of both traditional jazz and electric jazz. I love the sax and trumpet work with the Rhodes-sounding keys , electric bass , electric guitar , and drums. I guess Ive got to get a few Nucleus cds. Is BestBuy a place where I could pick some up and what do you guys suggest.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Could you suggest for me some fusion which you find too electric? I have not yet come across this in my opinion, but I guess that is just my taste!