1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nude 5 string suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JIO, Aug 15, 2012.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I am a long-term 4 string player who uses GHS Progressives on all my fretted basses, but I have less experience w/5'rs. I now have two 5 string basses; an Ibanez SR505 w/45-130 med gauge long scale GHS Boomers, and a Parker PB65SP (w/active EMG soapbars) that I want to put new strings on. (just acquired it used) I like the Boomers tone and feel but want strings that don't have the cloth wrap on either end. The Parker is a string-thru and the exposed strings work best for me as I will occasionally plunk them. I learned that the strings on it are DR Marcus Millar's Fat Beams and I wonder if anyone uses them or knows enough about them to suggest other options. Essentially I want a set that strings up the same way they do (as seen in pic), and sounds a bit "more" than these sound. Like I said, they sound a bit tired, so it's likely a new set of the same would suffice. Otherwise, it kind of narrows down to strings that are nude (no wrap) that have all the good-stuff; chime-y but deep, meaty tone, nice articulation and a good feel. (I play all types of music) Also needs to be long enough to do a 34" scale string-thru on a 5 in-line headstock. I'm guessing this would this require super-long/extra-long strings.

As string companies don't list wrap or no wrap information, any experienced recommendations here would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3980.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    D'addarios and Ernie Ball rounds don't have silk wraps. They're not identical to Boomers but they're pretty close.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    No silk nickel rounds?

Clear Tone
    Circle K
    D'Addario XL Nickels
    Dean Markley Nickel Steels
    DR Nickel Low Rider / Sunbeams
    Everly Super Bass (only 4 string sorry)
    Elixir
    Ernie Ball Slinky
    Fodera Nickel
    GHS Bassics
    R.Cocco
    Rotosound Roto Bass
    SIT Powerwound / Rock Brite

Just a few...

4. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I'm glad to see so many choices - so since you're in the biz, I'll go from here... the ex-owner said what was on there was either the DR/MM Fat Beams, or R.Cocco - he wasn't sure. My impressions are that I like how punchy, taut and resonant the Boomers on my Ibanez are in comparison, and I feel the strings, especially the B string on the Parker, are less so. I realize every instrument will couple differently w/strings and any choice will either be spot-on or not. I wish there was a way one could A/B strings w/o going into debt - but if you could recommend (or narrow down) from your list a couple or few that you feel would approach my initial wants I'd appreciate it. I'm not a slapper - mostly finger and some pick playing, and I like an articulate, punchy/present tone/sound. I play through an Ampeg B-15, and an SWR Goliath (4/10). The bass on its own has a dark, woody tone, and possibly because it has a mahogany body it has one foot in the Thunderbird camp tonally. I have GHS Progressives (wrapped) that I like on my T-bird, but it's hard to do a direct comparison there because it's passive and the Parker is active. In light of that, would the GHS Bassics be something to consider? I'll look forward to your further recommendations.

5. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Hey Jimmy! Didn't recognize you w/o your puppet-pic avatar! How's it shakin'? I'm still diggin' my B-15! :D I considered the D'addarios - aren't they the ones w/the different coloured ball-ends? I've used them on 4 strings and like them. How's the B on that set?

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    You can figure if they are R.Cocco or DR by the winding lengths.. DR about 38" from Ball to Taper while R.Cocco are 37" (their extra long are 39" and DR's are 40").

If I had to suggest a string for you it would be a Hex core string.

DR Nickel Lo-Riders would be nice as they have a smaller diameter outer winding so there is a little less finger noise compared to some other strings.

The GHS Bassics are a good string for the money. They are super cheap compared to the others.

D'Addario XL Nickels a great string for the money as well. Pretty punchy, and not too high of a tension for a hex core.

But the real deciding factor is going to be the string length for you... Its a thru-body 34" scale?

If those are in fact DR's on there you will need a string that is at least 37.25" winding to properly fit your instrument... That unfortunately rules out the GHS Bassics (36.5" winding), and if you went D'Addario you would need Super Longs (38" winding).

Dean Markley are 37.25" winding as well as SIT. Rotosound Rotobass (probably the more grittier sounding NPS strings) are 37.75" so they will fit as well...

R.Cocco you would need Extra Long scale which could be too long (B larger wrap will go around the tuning post).

So actually I would start by determining the length string you need... Put a small marking on a string just past the nut, remove the string and measure from the back of the ball end to the marking... And we can go from there...

7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    But the real deciding factor is going to be the string length for you... Its a thru-body 34" scale?

...and if you went D'Addario you would need Super Longs (38" winding).

So actually I would start by determining the length string you need... Put a small marking on a string just past the nut, remove the string and measure from the back of the ball end to the marking... And we can go from there...[/QUOTE]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a 34" scale string-thru. I measured the B string from a mark just above the nut, and from that mark to the ball-end is 37". You can see in my pic of the headstock that the winding taper sits nicely just below the peg. The full length of the G string is 48". (whether cut or not I don't know) Are the D'Addario's the string that has the multi-coloured ball-ends? I've used their (4 string) and like them. Would they work and be a good choice for this 5'r? They come XL Med (I do want med gauge) but I only see 50-135. Would that feel only slightly larger and what will I gain or lose? When you say "not to high tension", would they still be pretty taut? (especially the B?) Thanks for fielding all these questions.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    So if that 37" mark is just past the nut then you have more options available to you.

D'Addario do have multi-coloured ball ends but they have a few different gauge options available...

The only "Pre-Packaged" 5 String Super Long set is:
    EXL170-5SL - Super Long 45-130: .045 .065 .080 .100 .130

However, if you buy a 4 String Super Long set and Single Low-B you have many more options available to you:

Super long 4 String Sets:
    EXL220SL - Super Long 40-095: .040 .060 .075 .095
    EXL170SL - Super Long 45-100: .045 .065 .080 .100
    EXL165SL - Super Long 45-105: .045 .065 .085 .105
    EXL160SL - Super Long 50-105: .050 .070 .085 .105

Super Long B strings:

I did mistype and say high-tension... I was more referring to flexibility... They are flexible and not too rigid... At the same time, the .135 Tapered D'Addario that I use is not not floppy. It is a pretty nice B string...

9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I think I'll try this 4 +1 mix > EXL165SL - Super Long 45-105: .045 .065 .085 .105 , with the .130 B, as I have familiarity w/the brand and those gauges. I'm not sure the policy on tb but are you able to quote a price etc? Want to do things by the book here...

10. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The CUP is very specific as far as vendors are concerned so I can not directly post a price in the thread. I do have a special program for forum members that register on the site and put in the comments they are from Talk Bass.

I'll shoot you a PM though!

11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    right on - thanks for all your help :) I'll be posting a review once I string them up!

12. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Awesome!

Glad I was able to get those shipped out to you today!

Enjoy!

13. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Thanks to help first determining what I needed and then narrowing down choices (and fast shipping!) I landed w/D'Addario nickel round-wounds. Let me say that as much as some players leave strings on forever and some change them often, I am somewhere between. Mostly due to expense as I love a new set of strings. More of everything - more dynamics, harmonic clarity, and that general crispy detail/colour a fresh set gives a bass. So I'm happy - pretty much what I was aiming for. D'Adderio makes one level more bright (prosteels) but I didn't want to lose the option for a deep round tone once dialed in that direction. Can't get a flatwound tone but close enough for jazz. ;) Now I can just enjoy playing it. :bassist: