Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Numb Fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by swrbass5, Oct 27, 2002.

1. swrbass5

swrbass5 Gold Supporting Member

We did a Fri. & Sat. this weekend. Friday I noticed my fingertips getting numb during a few songs in which my guitar player likes to do long solos. Tonight, during the first set (of 3) it seemed to be getting worse. 2 more hours of playing didn't help things either. I play hard, but I've never noticed this before. I'm just recovering from a cold; could circulation be affected by that? Anyone had this problem?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I've had similar experiences during gigs and practice, anything from finger tips, fingers and all the way up to cramping/numb hands and underarms. If it's temporary it is just a sign of tension and overexertion, and it will go away with rest. As with any exercise it is very important to warm your hands up before a gig, never jump right into a long gig with cold hands. Also, I try to consciously not press down too hard with my fretting fingers, it doesn't take much pressure really. It's difficult, but the key to stamina in playing is to keep your neck, arms and hands as relaxed as possible. If the numbness doesn't go away in one or two days, go see a doctor as you may have some pinched or damaged nervs that need treatment.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Get to a doctor. Numbness is a warning sign of Carpal Tunel Syndrome.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Numbness in the fingers can be a result of tension in the shoulder/neck.

See a doctor and/or chiropractor.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Exactly. I have a minor problem with a disk in my neck that gives me some problems when my neck muscles are irritated and tense (fomr stress usually). Especially if you feel symptoms from your elbows and pinkies (needles or numbness) you may have a pinched or annoyed nerve at the side of the neck. This can also happen when i've simply carried heavy stuff for too long (read: a PA up three stairs, a Fender P on the shoulder for four hours, and the PA back down again :)) Gentle stretching and generally staying away from too much stress helps for me.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Good advise. I waited until I needed surgery. Put me outta commission for almost a year.

7. Too, true. See a doctor soon. Carpal tunnel sounds like a bitch.

P.S. How many times, on this site have I warned to get the FINGER PROTECTORS?!! Take care of your fingers people!!!:D :rolleyes:

8. swrbass5

swrbass5 Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Guys I might check out a chiropractor and see what they think. I have a friend here in town who was supposed to go on tour for Kenny Wayne Sheppard a few years ago. He was having problems with his hands at the time, and decided to turn the gig down. I just found out last night that he's now playing with a pick full time, due to carpal tunnel. That's a scary thing.