1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Number of knobs and EQ frequencies

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Robin UK, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    Well, i should soon be receiving my warmoth fretless 5-string bass, but haven't yet decided fully on the Pre. I'm thinking of getting bart 59CBJD L1/LN1 pickups. And am less certain, but most frequently settlign on a Bart NTMB preamp.

The two things i am uncertain of are, firstly how many knobs to get. I'm leaning towards 5 knobs, voume, blend, and 3 band EQ, but don't know if i will regret having the 5 holes drilled if i decide at a later date to swap out the pre for something will elss knobs. can you fill in the holes?

Also, are the EQ frequencies useful on the bart preamps, compared to the nordstrand for instance, the treble is very high (10Khz compared to 4 Khz), and the bass abit lower. I also worry if i will miss having a 500Hz mid frequency for boosting rather than to 250 & 800Hz on the mid selector.

Any thoughts/experiecnes welcome. Maybe i'm just thinking to much.

2. Use stacked knobs like on the Auderes. Filling in holes isn't the way to go. Haven't used Barts; I know the Auderes are HIGHLY customizable.

3. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
  4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So far I'm very pleased with the EQ points on the Glock 3-band pre. You can choose 5 knobs or 4 (1 is stacked). I like it better than the Audere (and I've owned two of those).

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    With just a few extra knobs, you can get every tone that ever existed and a slice of golden brown toast.

FBass02knobs.

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Could you imagine the sonic capabilities of such a device? You could do a lot of EQing with that many knobs!

7. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    Bump, because i just found out that my bass will be delivered tomorrow ( a month early), and i still ahven't ordered my pickups or preamp.