Number of Knobs on a Precision?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Greyfin10, May 5, 2020.

1. Greyfin10

Greyfin10 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    This got needlessly rambly... so the TL;DR; -- I need advice on how many knobs I can comfortably fit into a Precision control cavity.

Although in many ways, I've learned my lesson in the past about modding basses, I've had a number of things lately convince me to try my hand at a particular variety of Frankenbass:

• been nostalgic for my first real bass; a 1978 Fender Precision. Was stolen in the early 90s
    • I'm currently pretty much an only carbon fiber sort of dude. Mostly Modulus
    • I'm also pretty much fully converted to preferring active pickups
    • The bass I've been waiting to re-acquire recently (Modulus VJ) seems as rare as hen's teeth lately
    So, I've been haunting some graveyards and have looted the following bodyparts:
    • Status Jazz neck (ordered... we'll see how long it takes)
    • 93 Fender American Standard Precision body. Appears to have been some sort of second (this was bought off ebay from a seller who has a lot of these seemingly original bodies that have obviously never been assembled). If anyone knows the likely origin of these, I'd be interested
    • Bartolini BR8CBP Precision pickups
    • Hipshot Hardware (including detuner)
    • OBP-3 I bought off someone here on Talkbass in 2013 or so (according the envelope its still in)
    • I intend to run this active/passive, in case I find I don't like an Active Precision
    So, there are many ways I can knob this cat... but my preference would be (I think)
    • Volume (stacked with a passive tone control, otherwise I'll have no tone control when passive)
    • Push Pull for active Mids (400 or 800mz sweep)
    • Low and High active control stacked
    • edit: Just realized I forgot the active/passive switch
    So, assuming I don't route a side-jack for my input, three knobs would require a custom pickguard (I own a Shapeoko cnc, but to do the 45 degrees bevel, the bit is three times what a custom pickguard would be... so I'm learning towards paying someone to just do a normal guard with the knob holes ommitted). I would prefer to use barrel knobs (over minis), and although I'd not hate four knobs, I think it'd start looking odd. I don't love the busy look of the commercial stabs at Active P-basses....

So, I pretty much know what I'm looking for, but was looking for ideas and/or observations and potential bottlenecks I've overlooked. Thanks for reading.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    imabuddha likes this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it sounds ambitious but exciting! i think you've got a lot covered there = a super P-bass! i'll especially look forward to seeing the piece! :thumbsup:

some folks will have some nifty suggestions, i'm sure. good luck on this project! :thumbsup:

Greyfin10 likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021