1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Number of people on your Ignore list?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CyberSnyder, Nov 29, 2019.

1. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    How many people are on your ignore list? I used to go by the rule of never ignoring anyone, but found that it really made Talkbass more enjoyable. Every year or so, I'll review the list and I usually find that one out of five are now banned, so it isn't just me. Usually after the "review" I'll unignore everyone. Sure enough, the same people quickly go back on that list. I currently have seven on the list and by the time I do the net "review" there will probably be ten.

Please don't mention any members by name. I'm not trying to turn this into an outing or attitude shaming session. I like the feature.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Zero. The ignore function is useless to me as long as the forum shows you that someone you're ignoring posted something.

3. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    It only shows that initially and then you don't see their comments unless you scroll to the bottom and click on "Show Ignored Content". You might see a thread started by them on the landing page if it's a top 15 or whatever thread for the day.

mcnach likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Hmm...has that changed? Each post used to show up as censored in any given thread in which the ignored member posted. Still, knowing that ignored content is there is enough to bother me. If the ignore function doesn't erase the ignored member's content from my perception, it's still no good.

cataract likes this.
  5. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I use the dark theme, so initially I'll see a thin, long pink / red box showing "Ignored content" but then after the next page update or whatever, that disappears.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yeah that's still no good. I'm still being informed that someone I'm ignoring said something. I'd have plenty of people on my list otherwise, as I'm sure I'd be on plenty of people's lists.

cdef and nbsipics like this.
  7. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I love all of my TalkBass brothers and sisters! Bring it on! If any of them are "really bad" or something, the Mods will take care of them.

Low84, smogg, BassPilot and 33 others like this.
  8. Zero, though I am sure I am on someone's list.

I just skip by if someone is being a ding dong and do not want to read anymore. I like knowing what ding dong thing was said that others are talking about as being a ding dong thing to do.

9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I can promise that there are none on my blocked list, and I can assure you that I am on several.
    Not my intent, but, I get it.
    I can be like that, apparently.

10. I think I may have put 1 or 2 on the ignore list but I took them off soon afterwards. I just had to see what they were posting. I can’t look away!

On a recent thread, a poster announced he was putting someone on his ignore list at least 3 times!

/\/\3phist0, J_Bass and SirMjac28 like this.
  11. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    Zero, I have yet to read anything so offensive that I don't want to read anything from that user. There are some who post ridiculous things (IMO) but I certainly don't take anything to heart. If I don't see their post in a thread, then I'm not getting the whole story. The more information you can get, even if you don't like it or agree with it, the better. And I try not to make character judgements based on the things I read here. It's just people making comments.

12. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    It's generally the people that tend to instigate that I throw on Ignore. Respectful disagreement is great.

13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Zero. Never used that function. I've certainly gotten into it with some people, but no one has ever bothered me enough to put them a list. There are are few people who consistently make inane comments or just been bent on stirring up trouble. I just skim by those posts.

14. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

Zero.
    May be on several despite my short time as a denizen here.

I just make an individual decision with each post, whether or not to read. So far it has not been a time-prohibitive practice.

15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The most troublesome people on here tend to get themselves banned anyway. ;)

16. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Yeah, I guess I try to not get banned in the process. I have a difficult time just letting things go. Someone on the internet is WRONG!!!!

17. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Yeah pretty much true, the ones I’ve found troublesome are banned now.

It’s been folks with a “my way or the highway” attitude coupled with a smart mouth ... the mods seem to do a good job recognizing that.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  18. RoketRdr

RoketRdr

Nov 7, 2019
    West Texas
    Did someone make a first post? Can’t tell because I can’t see it. :)

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1. And I'm sure he's a great guy. But his avatar leads me to believe he would throw political bombshells if given half a chance. Honestly, I don't understand how avatars slide under the political radar around here. But they do. I just wanted to reduce my risk of running into his politocal minefield.

But I don't ignore people who have been hateful to me, or started arguments with me. Meh. Honestly, I try to forget those things. I may actually learn something from that same user down the road if I let it go.

20. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX

I apologize for nothing. :headphone: