Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

number of screws in the bridge!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gintaras, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I am in the process of redoing a fender squier precision 5. I have been looking at bridges and was wondering about the number of screws and does it make a difference. My present bridge is held on by 6 screws. A hipshot 'A' for a 5 string has 3 screws but there 4 string version has 4 screws. The badass V has 6 also...
    i am considering the Hipshot A because it can string thru the body but that model has the least amount of screws.

Can anybody give me a clue?

(I know, a fender squier 5 ?!??! But I love the wide neck ...2" at the nut and 3" at the last fret)

Gus

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I don't know if this helps, but I've got 4 screws holding a 7-screw 4-string bridge and I hear no difference or see any dramatic changes in the bridge or any other components.

3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    The B-style 5-string bridges by hipshot only have 2 screws, and, well, the hold fine.

4. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    both of the replies have allowed me to make my decision of bridge replacement an easier one. (also I am less paranoid of this part of the project)

Now the only thing left is learing more about the tuners. It seems that I will need to take one off and measure all of the dimensions to make sure that I get the right size.

Gus

Quoting my wife..... you are in need of adult supervision. :confused:

5. if the strings are going through the body, they're not pulling on the bridge at all, so fewer screws is not a problem. they just keep it from sliding around under the strings...

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I'm working on a thru-body right now that has no bridge -- just saddles.