1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

nut and saddle replacement, Kelly club fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gintaras, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have just got a Michael Kelly club 4 fretless. I had read in a previous thread that the nut and saddle were plastic and there was a negative comment mentioned about it. I will be taking this to my luthier for new strings and setup and can have them replaced. Would you find this necessary and what would be results of replacing them? What material would you recommend?

2. the nut only effects the open strings. If you are one of the people who dosn't use open strings verry much, don't bother. You might notice a difference with the saddles but probably not

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Take a look at GraphTech's graphlon. On their site they have a frequency chart comparison between it and some other alternatives, and I've found it to be a real easy replacement and durable as hell, and more consistent with fretted-versus open sounds.

Carvin sells several sizes/configs cheaper than anywhere else as that's what they put on their basses.