Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nut and String Depth

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nashpipe, Jan 20, 2006.

1. nashpipe

nashpipe

Oct 17, 2005
    Hey everyone,

I've been lurking around for sometime and I can't find the answer for this setup question.

I have been thinking about building a bass so I've been reading about making my own nuts (don't laugh) so I've got enough knowledge to be dangerous. I pulled some of my basses out and noticed that on all of them, the g-string sits completely in the nut. From what I've read in several books is that you want about 2/3 of the string in the nut and 1/3 sitting above so the string can vibrate.

Should I reshape these nuts to change this or am I off base (bass)?

Thanks!

2. Have you noticed any muffling when you play your basses? If not, then you don't have to do anything. What you've read doesn't make a lot of sense if look at the case of locking nuts on g*****s. Those strings are clamped completely and they can still vibrate.

3. nashpipe

nashpipe

Oct 17, 2005
    Good advice. I've got an old Fernades Vertigo that always sounded muted but I attributed it to the old soapbar pu... but come to think of it, I love the sound of that bass.

The only reason I'm thinking about it because of this Hamer that needs a new nut and it got me thinking. But other than the buzz on the e-strings on open strings, it sounds fine.

4. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
  5. nashpipe

nashpipe

Oct 17, 2005
    Thanks for the info. They all look about like mine as far depth goes.

6. nashpipe

nashpipe

Oct 17, 2005
    I got my new pu's installed in my Jazz, strung it up and did a set-up. I did notice that the g_string did sound noticeably different then the other three. So I bit the bullet and filed some of the top of the nut off to show about 1/3 of the string. Wow, what a difference; it really opened up the sound. So, I took a little off the d_string and it improved.

I had recorded some of the before and after so I have some non-biased reference.

Thanks to the info I've picked up on this site, this bass is playing better than ever. Now, on to the Hamer.

btw, The Seymour Duncan Antiquity PUs sound great.