1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nut->bridge pup measurement (Stingray, L-1500, Jazz) - help me, please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by craigb, Nov 15, 2000.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hey Everyone,

I'm contemplating adding a bridge pickup to my newly acquired old G&L SB-1 (http://freeweb.pdq.net/boeker/band/my-sb1.jpg). I'd like to add a Stingray or G&L humbucking-style pickup in the appropriate location but don't know if I have enough room. If not I'd probably go with a jazz-style pickup (making it like an SB-2).

So I'm asking anyone with a Stingray, G&L L-1500/1505 or Fender Jazz to measure the nut->top of bridge pickup distance and let me know. That way I can figure out what kind of pickup I can add.

I won't have results right away as I'm planning on buying a router, making a pickup template, etc. and taking my time. I'll probably also do a shielding job while I have it opened up.

Thanks for the help!

2. Craig,

On my Fender MIJ 62 re-issues the measurement you are looking for is 27.5" I think this might be a critical placement because just forward of the pickup (about .5") is a harmonic point. If you got it off in this direction, the results could be pretty awful.

As far as a template - don't sweat it. If you'll send me an SASE, I'll return layouts for both the bridge and neck pups for the Jazz. You could use this full-size diagram to make an accurate template. I did all of this measuring while designing the CAD/CAM bass and got a very nice fit with my results.

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Thanks Hambone. One measurement I was able to dig up in the TBL archives was 31.875 to the centerline of the pickup (based on 15/16ths of the 34" scale length).

I'm still hoping to get some Stingray/L-1500 locations but may have to visit a music store with a tape measure in pocket.

4. Doh!!! I just realized after seeing your last post that I gave you the distance on the NECK pup instead of what you asked for - the BRIDGE pup. What an idiot!