Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nut->bridge pup measurement (Stingray, L-1500, Jazz) - help me, please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by craigb, Nov 15, 2000.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hey Everyone,

I'm contemplating adding a bridge pickup to my newly acquired old G&L SB-1 (http://freeweb.pdq.net/boeker/band/my-sb1.jpg). I'd like to add a Stingray or G&L humbucking-style pickup in the appropriate location but don't know if I have enough room. If not I'd probably go with a jazz-style pickup (making it like an SB-2).

So I'm asking anyone with a Stingray, G&L L-1500/1505 or Fender Jazz to measure the nut->top of bridge pickup distance and let me know. That way I can figure out what kind of pickup I can add.

I won't have results right away as I'm planning on buying a router, making a pickup template, etc. and taking my time. I'll probably also do a shielding job while I have it opened up.

Thanks for the help!

2. Craig,

On my Fender MIJ 62 re-issues the measurement you are looking for is 27.5" I think this might be a critical placement because just forward of the pickup (about .5") is a harmonic point. If you got it off in this direction, the results could be pretty awful.

As far as a template - don't sweat it. If you'll send me an SASE, I'll return layouts for both the bridge and neck pups for the Jazz. You could use this full-size diagram to make an accurate template. I did all of this measuring while designing the CAD/CAM bass and got a very nice fit with my results.

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Thanks Hambone. One measurement I was able to dig up in the TBL archives was 31.875 to the centerline of the pickup (based on 15/16ths of the 34" scale length).

I'm still hoping to get some Stingray/L-1500 locations but may have to visit a music store with a tape measure in pocket.

4. Doh!!! I just realized after seeing your last post that I gave you the distance on the NECK pup instead of what you asked for - the BRIDGE pup. What an idiot!