1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nut broken on a Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jerm, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    Hey, I was sitting there practicing and the part of my nut that holds my G string in place just snapped off, I have no idea where it went. Has this happened to anyone else? What do I do, where can I get a new pre-cut nut? Thanks. :confused:

2. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Your Fender dealer should have one - or else online. Think a pair run $5.99 street price. Best take it to the shop and have them do the job for you.
    David

3. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    aight cool

4. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    The Fender nuts are made of Cycolac, a hard, sturdy but somewhat brittle plastic, which are prone to cracking at the upper and lower string slots. If you want a nut to last a lifetime, has a qualified tech replace it with bone.

5. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    Happened to me in the same place too, just took it too a tech, if they have one ready made for your bass it will only take a few minutes to replace.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    It happens a lot, especially if you have recently changed strings, as the possible variation in string gauge may crack the nut.

I agree with the earlier poster who suggested a bone nut. They are durable. Have the slots made to fit the gauge of string that was on the bass when the nut cracked...that is unless you are planning to change to a new type/brand/gauge.

If you are changing to different strings, give the tech person a new set of those strings to install, and consider getting a setup, too.

7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Take it to a tech as suggested or just get a graphtec jazz bass nut and some superglue and Knock the old one out from the side with a screw driver it only takes a bit of light tapping and it is out and then a drop of super glue on the bottom of the new one and center it in the slot and slide it dowh done.
    Nothing scarry or difficult about it. Get some spares feom Bass parts resources.com and it takes all of 3 minutes and almost no skill.

8. I was restringing my favourite bass (my trusty, dusty Yamaha RBX170) today and my plastic nut broke right at the E-string...:(

so, I has a couple pieces of grey PVC laying around (just in case ;) ) and I fashioned a new nut using nothing but a hack saw and some files...

it took me about 2 hours, all up...I strung it up...it works fine, it will need a little tweeking but not much...not the prettiest nut, either....but the price and availability were just what I was after :)

9. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    That happend to my Fender Deluxe jazz bass, while my nephew was playing it. It really freaked him out.

I replaced it with a precut brass nut that I got from GuitarPartsResource.com for about $15.00 USD. We carefully scored the edge of the nut between the freatboard and nut. Then we took a small srewdriver and tapped nut loose from the side opposite the tuning keys to loosen it. We continued tapping it sideways until it came out (strings were already removed of course). We then aligned the new string nut over the groove and gently tapped doward until it was fully seated (no glue). We restrung the bass and were good to go. If you do a search, you can find instruction online (or maybe even on TB)

10. carvin sells pre-cut graphite nuts www.carvin.com

they're $8, if I remember, and the width is 1.5" like on a Jazz

11. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    The Carvin nuts are 3/16", Fender slots are 1/8", so it won't fit without modification.

12. flat sanding 1/16" is not a huge mod...considering I made a nut from scratch in about 2 hours...and I've never done much more before other than a little filling and re-slotting...

13. oldicer

oldicer

Jan 14, 2007
    New York area
    Hey! If you replace it with a brass nut, I did it on my 71 jazz bass you will notice a little change in sustain in my case for the better. did anyone else have the same exp?

14. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Nope, definitely not a huge mod, but the OP was looking for something pre-cut which made me think he wasn't interested in modding anything.

I made a nice nut out of walnut the other day in no time at all, sounded great, but didn't last very long. Luckily it was only meant to be temporary.

15. +1...making nuts is really not difficult (easier than I ever would think)...and lots of fun...

my PVC nut is only temporary, too (I think)...sounds good and should hold up a while...

16. el_mariachi

el_mariachi

Mar 4, 2005
    Denver, CO
    HI and oldicer, how are you guys liking the brass nut? I am looking to possibly replace my factory nut on my '98 MIM Jazz deluxe.

17. Geez, reading this thread suddenly turned me into a little kid, and now whenever you describe nuts, buying new ones, sanding them down, I just...get odd images.

This never happened till now.

Anyways, back to the thread!

18. mortar

mortar

Mar 18, 2008
    Though I'm a newb to the low side I've install many pre-shaped slotted nuts on guitars and even shaped some from bone, Corian and Tusq.

Even the pre-shaped slotted nuts are going to take some modification to get them to work properly.

19. that happened to me twice.it was because i put bad the G string.wraped it on the wrong side and put tension in the plastic nut. i just let it to a luthier and i wait for his call. i guess i will go for the brass nut ( if they have ) and if not...something hard, ( i am not very convinced with the bone one...)

20. InRodweTruss

InRodweTruss

Mar 21, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I got a new nut at basspartsresource.com. Ordered it on a Saturday...it was here that Tuesday. Installed it myself...end of story...