1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nut Buzz/Rattle

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fondsdale, Dec 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Fondsdale

Fondsdale

Sep 30, 2015
    Mars
    My Spector has a really obnoxious buzz/rattle at the nut on the E string.
    At first I thought it was the truss rod rattling but after playing around with it I decided to put a piece of masking tape on the nut slot underneath the string and just like that the buzz went away. Due to the fact that the tape remedied the the buzz it has to be something to do with the nut and not the truss rod.
    Any ideas on what may be the problem and how to fix it?

2. Too low or too wide slot... (or both). There's a trick with baking soda and CA glue to fill and re-file the slot.

Fondsdale likes this.
  3. Fondsdale

Fondsdale

Sep 30, 2015
    Mars

Yeah I remember seeing a YT video on that. It has a brass nut but I assume it would still work, I'll have to look into it.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    The baking soda and superglue won't work on brass. It may be that the nut slot is not angled back toward the headstock enough. But that's just speculation. Could be that the slot is too deep in which case it may need a shim. Or the slot may be too wide. No simple solution for that case.

5. Fondsdale

Fondsdale

Sep 30, 2015
    Mars
    Assuming the slot is too wide you're saying I'd need a new nut cut? I might try a .110 E string and see if that resolves the problem.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Eliminate the simple stuff first:

*Make sure your string wraps are "hitting the deck". This will maximize string break as it passes over the nut.

*Re-set your witness points. The low B and E strings are particularly resistant to bending.

If neither of these work, consider showing it to a tech.

Riis

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    ^^ ++
    -this first, then re-tune.
    If it still buzzes/rattles, loosen the E string, move aside, and lay a 6" s/s rule in the bottom of the slot and across the first 3 frets. How much clearance do you have between the first fret and the scale/rule edge?

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    If you play hard, the string might rattle in the nut slot if it's cut too wide. But it won't necessarily rattle. If the nut slot is angled down toward the headstock side and the string is wrapped to the bottom of the tuning post, you may find no rattle at all, even if the slot is a bit wide. You can, as you have suggested, try a heavier gauge string, but even that may rattle if the nut slot is not properly angled.

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if its not too low but just wide, a trick i learned from right here in this forum is to cut a single pass with the file for the next string up so the string sits in a track. so in your case, the a string file. Im pretty sure it was JLS who posted that and thats been an invaluable tip.