nut buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Whenever I play an open A, I get a buzz coming from my nut/headstock. If I put my finger on the string at the nut, the buzz stops. I imagine the nut has been cut too large for the A, and that's the cause of the rattling. Now, short of buying a new nut, whats the best way to fix this?
  2. Joe, your diagnosis is right but only one of the two possiblities. If it is truly an enlarged nut slot then the fix is easy - fill the slot slightly with super glue. It can't be seen and works really well to build the slot up to fit. Just keep putting is on a drop at a time until it is built up and dry, then restring. I've got to ask the quesition though - Why is the nut slot larger than your A string? Have you changed gauges of string recently? If it all of a sudden started to make noise then I would put the blame on not enough string tension across the nut. Fairly common with flat headstocks like the Fender. The first fix for this is to make sure the you've got enough string wound on the tuner post to keep the last winding pushed down towards the headstock. This increases the angle across the nut and eliminates the rattle.

Hope this helps.
  3. I had thought of superglue, but I thought that might do the opposite of what I want, decreasing depth, not width, which, as far as i could tell, would push the string out further, making more of a buzz. No, I haven't changed gauges, but I did just have a thought. I'm quite overdue for a string change, would the age of the strings factor in?
  4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Why not just change out the nut? It's not hard, and my store sells them for $1.50. Why not just solve the problem?
  5. Strings eh maybe, try either putting new strings on, or (in my case with lack of money) boil them up to refresh them. If the rattling stops then so be it. If the buzz continues try the super glue. Its always good to try it so you can gain experience for next time.

If they both don't work then do as suggested and buy a new nut. Its only plastic. :D