nut came off my Spector Euro, do I play too hard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DirtySocks1379, Jun 1, 2005.

1. I really beat the hell out of my bass when I play it. I can't help it. So I broke a string the other day, and when I took them off, I noticed that in between the first few frets there are marks from the E string rubbing. The metal on the groves on the nut and bridge also have marks from the E string.

I was cleaning it while the strings were off, and the nut came off. Their seems to be little adhesive used to hold it judging from the residue. Anyone have a recommendation as to what adhesive to use to reattach it? I am a bit nervous about putting it back on, because I am afraid that it might not line up perfectly with the fretboard. Is there a method for lining the nut up when reattaching it, or do I just eye it up evenly on both sides?

All of this has got me thinking that I should alter my playing style a bit so I don't abuse the bass quite as much. Would the nut come off from playing too hard?

Thanks for your time.
  2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Probably not. I had an endorsement deal with Spector a few years back and ordered two Euro's to play gigs because I didn't want my U.S. quilt tops getting dinged up. Both arrived and my tech took the strings off and both nuts fell right off. As if they were never seated and glued in. I was pissed. I fixed them and sold them. I was very disappointed with the quality.
  3. yeah i had the same problem. i was used to basses that you could take off all the string but with euro you either have to left it fall off and get it fixed or when changing strings change one at a time. well even when you get it fixed to be on the safe side you should change strings one at a time.

and a endorsment with spector. i would love to have that.
  4. so this is somewhat normal? Can I just put it in place and string it up then? (seems pretty secure when it is sitting in the groove).
  5. Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    Just put a little dot or 2 of Elmer's or simple wood glue on the bottom of the nut. String tension usually holds them in place, but without strings, a little dab of glue will do ya.

As irritated as some of you are that he's got a loose nut, as a repairman I can tell you few things are as annoying as trying to get a nut out that's been superglued in or something like that.