Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NUT CHANGE!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jahsekou, Jul 25, 2005.

1. I have a lower-end Squier J-Bass

somehow the nut grinded down and the D and G strings have no sustain. Has anyone successfully changed the nut on a J-Bass? If so what are the steps. I believe mine it fitted and not glued on...could be wrong

2. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    Stew-mac had a good artical on it.

3. The easiest thing is the purchase a precut nut and put it in the slot in place of the old one with a couple of spots of white glue. That's all that's needed to hold one in place. Fender has precut brass nuts that should work fine.

If you want to shape and carve your own nut - that's a long story with side references to string height, and string spacing that takes some time to perfect. You also need some special tools. Too much to cover in one post.

4. that would be my question Mr Hambone. Can I just pry it out with a screwdriver and fit the new brass nut I have into the old slot? Would it be wise for me to pay my bass repair people for the process?

5. For what they would want to remove the nut - no. As long as you don't ding up the wood around the nut, you're OK to put in the new piece. I take a pair of slipjaw pliers and grasp the nut at the end directly on top and pull up. Sometimes the whole thing comes out and sometimes only half comes out but this usually brings large, whole pieces up without slivers being left in the slot. Those are a PIA to get out.