Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nut file widths

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Davo737, May 25, 2005.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Just a quick question about nut file widths - When there isn't a file that is the exact guage of the string I'm using, do I want to use the file that is slightly larger or slightly smaller? For example, if I were using a .100 E string, would I use the .098 or the .105 width nut file? Much thanks!

Regards,
    Dave

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

I can tell you what I do..
    I would use the slightly smaller file..then I would take a piece of the actual string that you will be using and super glue it to the edge of a popsicle stick..then I would burnish the slot with the wound string until it's a perfect fit.

I learned the burnishing stick tip from Dan Erlewine...and it's a beautiful thing :)

3. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Sounds like a great trick. Unfortunately, I don't think it would work in this particular situation as the strings are nylon flats and I don't have an extra set to cut up. But for other projects, sounds like a good solution. Thanks.