Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nut for fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rapatronic, Mar 12, 2004.

1. rapatronic

rapatronic

Mar 8, 2004
    I'm having a hard time finding a replacement nut for my J-bass fretless. All the replacement nuts I've seen anywhere are for the fretted J-basses (greater height). Anybody know where I can get one? Thanks for the help!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Why not just sand the bottom of the nut down a bit?

3. rapatronic

rapatronic

Mar 8, 2004
    I tried that but it wasn't working well because I'd need to take off maybe about 1/8" inch and the bottom was of the nut was beginning to round off even though I took care to sand it properly. It'd be worth for me to find a direct replacement, but I'd sand it down if necessary

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You could always use a nut from a fretted bass and file the grooves deeper. You need to determine how much height you want above the fingerboard and place a metal feeler gauge on the fingerboard in front of the nut to prevent filing the grooves to deep. Or, if you want to sand the bottom, put the sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the nut against the sandpaper to keep the bottom flat.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Filing the grooves deeper isn't a good idea. The rule of thumb is that only half of the string diameter should sit in the groove. Any deeper and the string can bind causing tuning problems. Mush better to sand down the bottom of the nut. I recently had it done a one of my fretlesses, and it wasn't that expensive. I paid $40 for the nut repair and a complete setup, not much more than what a setup alone costs around here.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    1/8 in...Holy Cow!!! Are you sure? The strings should be about two business card thicknesses off of the fingerboard at the nut.

When I defretted my Squier P Special 5, I didn't need to adjust the nut at all. I did need to use a slightly thicker shim in the neck pocket (from about 1/32 in. to 1/16 in.), but the nut was fine.

Is you bass a factory-fretless or did you or someone else defret it? You should probably look at the set up (truss rod adjustment...fretless' work best when the neck is nearly flat (very little relief) and the neck pocket shim at the very base of the neck). You might find that the nut you have is fine.

7. rapatronic

rapatronic

Mar 8, 2004
    I laid the old nut on top of the new one and scored the new one with a pencil to see where I'd have to sand it off to get the same height as the old one. It might have been a little less than 1/8" but not much. The bass is a stock Mexi J-bass fretless. I'm thinking now I'll probably just take the bass to get it set up instead of trying to mess around with this myself.